Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't really understand the purpose of texting to begin with. Can't the person be called, and if not there can't a message be left? Why would anyone want to stare at those little keys on a little phone and try to type. WHY?

While Im on the subject why do people have to follow others as to what everyone is doing. Seems to me all this texting is just like some sort of fad. Actually its very impersonal and some of those I have met that constantly do it are rather aloof people to begin with. Im beginning to question if many of these texting people can actually interact in public.

Its all very sad and even more sad that so many Americans can't see what they have turned into. Poor pathetic creatures that just follow the leader to so called technology.

This texting while driving has gotten so serious something has to be done about it. I certainly hope there are nationwide campaigns to put serious restraits on it. Again why can't people pull over pick up the damn phone and call the person, What is with the need to play with little keys and all that time to type your stupid text message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess I don't really understand the purpose of texting to begin with. Can't the person be called, and if not there can't a message be left? Why would anyone want to stare at those little keys on a little phone and try to type. WHY?

While Im on the subject why do people have to follow others as to what everyone is doing. Seems to me all this texting is just like some sort of fad. Actually its very impersonal and some of those I have met that constantly do it are rather aloof people to begin with. Im beginning to question if many of these texting people can actually interact in public.

Its all very sad and even more sad that so many Americans can't see what they have turned into. Poor pathetic creatures that just follow the leader to so called technology.

This texting while driving has gotten so serious something has to be done about it. I certainly hope there are nationwide campaigns to put serious restraits on it. Again why can't people pull over pick up the damn phone and call the person, What is with the need to play with little keys and all that time to type your stupid text message.
Some people get mad and confused when the world passes them by. Don't let your confusion cloud your better judgement. This thread is veering close to the old-codger-hating-everything-that-didn't-exist-when-he-was-a-child-territory. Next thing you know, we're going to start addressing and legislating against the pervasiveness of the dreaded "hippity-hoppity" music that makes all the kids dance like Satan's got a hold of their legs.

If we banned everything that was a danger to us, we'd all have to live in sterile boxes completely apart from everyone and everything else in the world. So, I propose an idea. Instead of some illogical and impossible to enforce prohibition on texting and driving, why don't we educate drivers on personal responsibility? I know. I know. It's too simple a solution, right? It's much easier to create yet another law limiting our rights, isn't it? Personally, I'm dumbstruck that anyone would be gullible enough to think passing more laws prohibiting anything would actually solve any problems. Human nature is human nature, and people will do whatever the heck they want to do regardless of how many rules are in place denying them that right. Prohibitions have not worked throughout history (history's an interesting thing - look into it!) and have in fact mostly made problems worse by creating criminal cultures that didn't exist prior. If texting's banned, it won't stop. People will just look around for a cop before they begin. If they don't see one, I assure you, they will text.

For once, let's empower our lawmakers to actually make effective change. Don't encourage them to wholesale ban something because you all are having a knee-jerk reaction to something you all cannot comprehend. Teaching people to do the right thing will have much more positive results than punishing the wrong thing. Positive reinforcement works in people just as well as it does in dogs.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
I think what we need to remember is that it's not just specifically text messaging that people are distracted by. Some are on their mobile web, trying to hook up their bluetooth, fingering through the music player, using their mobile GPS (this is probably the most distracting), and some are probably even silly enough to be playing games. It's not just text messaging.

Should governments decide to take some action, they need to make sure they're banning basically every activity that keeps your eye on your phone instead of the road.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I think what we need to remember is that it's not just specifically text messaging that people are distracted by. Some are on their mobile web, trying to hook up their bluetooth, fingering through the music player, using their mobile GPS (this is probably the most distracting), and some are probably even silly enough to be playing games. It's not just text messaging.

Should governments decide to take some action, they need to make sure they're banning basically every activity that keeps your eye on your phone instead of the road.
Exactly my point. Those carping on the texting issue have missed the larger point and are just riding the anti-text message zeitgeist train like their anti-smoking and anti-drinking predecessors. Sure, intentions were good, but when small businesses have suffered due to the anti-smoking zealotry and organized crime developed due to the anti-drinking zealotry, it's time to rethink how we react to things we dislike in the name of protecting the general populace. As the aphorism goes, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 79,396 times
I agree that there needs to be more personal responsibility. Rather than banning everything, I would like to see tougher penalties for causing fatal "accidents", not just slaps on the wrist. It shouldn't matter whether you're texting, changing the radio station, using your GPS, turning completely around to yell at the kids, whatever. If you caused someone to die, you should do jail time. Period. Of course, I don't know how realistic that is considering our prisons are overcrowded as it is.

I'm rather touchy on this subject since I bike a lot, and it only would take a moment of inattention to kill me. Or kill the kid who runs out into the street after a ball. So in the California case linked above, yes, I think the punishment is appropriate, even if it was just for texting. I learned way (way, way) back in driver's ed that the majority of accidents aren't really accidents but someone screwing up. The driver in that case screwed up, and she was being held accountable. That personal responsibility thing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.