Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

I don't think there needs to be a precise mathematical formula based on how many times you blink or tap shoes at a server or anything. It's very simple - very good service (for me) gets 20-25%, decent service gets 15%, and "average" gets 10%. If it's flat-out bad, I discreetly speak to a manager. Tipping nothing does nothing to fix the service... talking to a manager might.

Perhaps the new administration in DC will address the minimum wage scale for tipped employees. At around $2.11 per hour, it has literally only gone up TEN CENTS per hour since I worked in a restaurant 22 years ago. That's crazy. And it's also the reason why most of the folks who wait on you these days are named Buffy, Candy, Britany, or Biff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM

218 posts, read 840,070 times
There are some misguided (to put it nicely) methods and opinions in this thread, but none worse than the original poster. The OP's tipping method actually managed to make me angry.

While we're on the topic of tipping, how do you guys go about tipping delivery drivers? I currently have a delivery job (I'm still in college), and for some reason most people seem to think that 5-10% is an acceptable tip. Now I understand the logic that we don't "wait on you," but I also get paid $2.13 and hour, and then drive my own car to your house and pay for my own gas (and usually have to park illegally) to bring you your food while you get to sit around and do as you please. There is nothing more frustrating than repeatedly getting 1 or 2 dollar tips on 30-40 dollar orders.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
There are some misguided (to put it nicely) methods and opinions in this thread, but none worse than the original poster. The OP's tipping method actually managed to make me angry.

While we're on the topic of tipping, how do you guys go about tipping delivery drivers? I currently have a delivery job (I'm still in college), and for some reason most people seem to think that 5-10% is an acceptable tip. Now I understand the logic that we don't "wait on you," but I also get paid $2.13 and hour, and then drive my own car to your house and pay for my own gas (and usually have to park illegally) to bring you your food while you get to sit around and do as you please. There is nothing more frustrating than repeatedly getting 1 or 2 dollar tips on 30-40 dollar orders.
I delivered pizza for years. You should get paid more, wage-wise. We used to make around 5 an hour, plus tips and a certain amount per delivery. That was 5-10 years ago. (Needless to say, I tip delivery guys pretty well).

Old 05-23-2009, 06:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
As a former waitress I tip unless the service was awful because that is just about all they get in pay. Most of their paychecks go to taxes, I have had checks of $13.00 for two weeks before!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Around here I've noticed a tip of 20% is the norm.

I always give 20%, except if the service is absolutely AWFUL I'll give a little less. It has to be really bad though. I did go to a place on Cinco de Mayo a few weeks ago and had the worst service ever. We ended up getting our own water, silverware and menus because the people that worked there were just absolutely confused. It took us THREE hours to eat and have a few drinks. At one point a young kid walked around with food for 8 minutes (I counted at that point because we realized how out of control the place was) without ever figuring out who the food was for. He just walked from table to table asking people if it was their food. Everyone in the joint was furious. We ended up only leaving about a 5% tip. The main reason was we didn't realize how horribly overpriced the drinks were until we sat through the worst service on earth and got a huge bill. We had to ask for our bill 6 times and waited almost 50 minutes. The only reason we stayed is because we were outside, with good company, finally got some margaritas, and had no other plans. In the end it was almost like a comedy talking with other people in the restaurant about the service as the 25 people working there ran around freaking out about nothing.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I think most people don't realize that delivery drivers make such a low wage - even more people than those who don't realize how low restaurant servers get paid (and that's a lot of people).

Other than wearing a button that says, "I accept tips" which most employers would no doubt frown on, I suggest being one of the folks who gets as many people as you know to send letters and emails to the White House to inform the Administration as to the problems with this low wage issue. Only when enough people take the time to write will it be brought to light with the big guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.