Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following towns would you choose to live in if these were your only options.
Haddonfield, NJ 10 4.61%
Avalon, NJ 14 6.45%
Jupiter, FL 30 13.82%
Bluff, UT 4 1.84%
Scottsdale, AZ 63 29.03%
Flagstaff, AZ 32 14.75%
Terlingua, TX 9 4.15%
Cortez, CO 15 6.91%
Vicksburg, MS 12 5.53%
Anchorage, AK 28 12.90%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuneDog View Post
I can fully understand hating malls, but the scenic views from the road (even in Scottsdale), the parks, just the general outdoors in AZ out weigh most of the bad things the state has really. Yes, the Cardinals suck, the Diamondbacks suck (right now), the Coyotes...who cares about hockey anyway, but the Suns, come on, 2nd best record in the NBA? You can't throw them into the mix.

I moved here from DC (which I loved) almost a year ago and I haven't regretted it at all. I have really loved it. Life is much easier here.

-Paul
Im not cutting you down, Yes the senic views are great for the most part. I just dont like the housing market, and I LOVE grass in my yard, not rock, sand, weeds! I personally prefer the deep green grass and trees. Anyhoo..... I'll give you the Suns credit, but thats it on the sportswaggon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
Maybe Colorado or Texas or maybe even Arizona, but not the others...and it would depend on the city, don't know much bout those cities or towns...but overall, I would pick CO.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,715 times
OMG! I'd have to leave the country!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 AM

70 posts, read 242,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
Forget Anchorage - lived there and unless you like 6 months of darkness and cold, forget it. Totally depressing. The summers are nice (daylight all the time, day and night) - so if you ever take a trip, go there during the summer. The winters are long, really long, dark (no sun at all) an hour or two of 'dusk' which still is quite dark - that's why there are so many alcoholics and suicides in Alaska - people can't handle the darkness, totally depressing.

Question to those in Scottsdale, AZ as I am considering it on 'my list' of possible places to move....
Is it really that bad as far as snobbery ? I keep hearing how snooty everyone is there, and its a concern. Tell me what's the real deal any details you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there much to do there with kids (under the age of 12) ? How hot does it get there during the hottest summer month, also what are the winters like ? How much sun do you get there ? Thanks !!
Ya know, the funny thing is, I live in Scottsdale right now and plan on moving to Anchorage next year. If I don't like it, I'll move back to Scottsdale. Just plan on going up for a few years for the adventure. I have been fascinated with Alaska for a few years now and decided this is a good time in my life to o and experience it. I think I'll really like it, but I guess I am setting myself up for disappointment with that attitude.

I came to Scottsdale last May after living in DC for 9 years. I have to say the "snobbery" here isn't bad at all compared to what I was expecting too. I actually think the people here are way nicer than most of the people I have encountered anywhere else in the country. Very friendly most of the time. People here are a bit too far to the right for my liking on a personal level, but on a superficial level...very nice. Haha. The area is so beutiful and quality of life is very high here I think (at least compared to what I am used to back east).

-Paul

Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
Actually while living in the Phoenix are I lived for 1 1/2 years in Scotsdale. Great place. My Aunt owns a place Stewaty Fl by Jupiter where my cousin & her hubby live. We visit alot.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Of the places listed, I selected Bluff, UT, though there's very little there in the way of amenities. I love the location, being between the Grand Canyon and the Rocky Mountains, with the Utah desert having a lot to offer, too. I love the outdoors and that is the primary reason for my selection. The areas near Bluff are beautiful, too. Monument Valley is very close, as is the Valley of the gods. The Escalante Grand Staircase national monument is nearby, and so is Lake Powell. Moab is just a short drive to the north for Four Wheeling and mountain biking. Four Corners monument is about thirty minutes away, and Cortez, CO (another choice on the list) is also very close (maybe an hour away, or so).

What Bluff is lacking is a selection of dining and shopping establishments. The restaurant closes before the sun goes down, so if you don't want to cook, you either have to get there early, or get pizza from the place at the gas station (it's not too bad if you're really hungry). There really aren't many choices there.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 PM

43 posts, read 191,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuneDog View Post
Which of the following US towns/cities would you choose to live in if these were your only options...
none of the above

Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlab View Post
none of the above
So then you would live in outer space?

Old 04-27-2007, 03:00 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
So then you would live in outer space?
Well they did just discover another planet somewhat similar to earth

Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
The only places I've ever heard of on this list are the two NJ locations, Flagstaff, Scottsdale, Jupiter, and Anchorage. Of those I'd probably choose Haddonfield, NJ, not because of an NJ bias (believe me South Jersey isn't my first pick), but I've heard it's a nice town and it's close to Philadelphia, a very dense, urban city. The PATCO high speed rail line connects the town to Philly.

So if I couldn't live in a big city like Philly, I guess I'd choose to live close to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.