Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times

Advertisements

Cities like Spokane and Boise seem to be in between - I would say Spokane is West Coast though and Boise is Mountain West.

I think you can either divide them on a state by state basis - that is, all of California, Oregon and Washington are West Coast, and the states east of there are Mountain West (though Nevada could swing either way imo), or you can divide them at the Sierras and Cascades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
From I-80 I dont think the Sierras are part of the Mountain West.

Id say the Mountain West is Utah and Colorado, higher elevations of NM and AZ, maybe Wyoming, Montana and Mountainous areas of the NW.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Broad brush - In the Cascades and Sierra, at the point where you enter a reliably snowy (Sunset Western Gardening Guide Zone 3 or lower) climate zone. Anything east of that line is far enough removed from the Coast as to be part of the normal part of the US. Everything West of it is "different" in both the positive and negative sense of that word.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM

The line I described roughly corresponds to the western limits of the "Empty Quarter" as described in "The Nine Nations of North America."

Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,916,665 times
Nevada is in the Pacific time zone, so most of us locals consider ourselves to be West Coast (not Mountain West). Then again, I can only really speak for Southern Nevada....the Northern part of the state may have a different mindset.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Nevada is in the Pacific time zone, so most of us locals consider ourselves to be West Coast (not Mountain West). Then again, I can only really speak for Southern Nevada....the Northern part of the state may have a different mindset.
Arizona is on Mountain time for half a year and Pacific time the other half.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
[quote=MimzyMusic;8995188]...that is, all of California, Oregon and Washington are West Coast.../quote]

There's a lot of folks in eastern Oregon and Washington that'd argue with you. Many of those places have more in common with, say, towns in Wyoming than Seattle or Portland--politically, way of life, and making a living. In fact, eastern Washington and Oregon is part of what's called the "Intermountain West", same as Nevada, as it's between two major mountain chains.

Spokane is different enough from the west side there have been times in Washington's past where there has been some discussion of Spokane seceding from Washington and forming its own state. The last time I remember such talk as serious was early 1970s...talk of joining the "Inland Empire", eastern Washington, northern Idaho, and parts of western Montana into a state. "Franklin" for a name was suggested.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM

252 posts, read 960,298 times
[quote=skinem;8997524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
...that is, all of California, Oregon and Washington are West Coast.../quote]

There's a lot of folks in eastern Oregon and Washington that'd argue with you. Many of those places have more in common with, say, towns in Wyoming than Seattle or Portland--politically, way of life, and making a living. In fact, eastern Washington and Oregon is part of what's called the "Intermountain West", same as Nevada, as it's between two major mountain chains.

Spokane is different enough from the west side there have been times in Washington's past where there has been some discussion of Spokane seceding from Washington and forming its own state. The last time I remember such talk as serious was early 1970s...talk of joining the "Inland Empire", eastern Washington, northern Idaho, and parts of western Montana into a state. "Franklin" for a name was suggested.
Agreed. In terms of climate, culture, and politics, Oregon and Washington east of the Cascades has more in common with Idaho (and other parts of the Mountain West) than with western Oregon and Washington. Western Oregon and Washington are greener (from all of the rain) and more politically liberal, while east of the Cascades, the land is a bit more brown and the people more conservative.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM

This discussion really does conjure up "The Nine Nations of North America."

"Ecoptopia" and "Mexamerica" are vastly different than "The Empty Quarter."

An "Empty Quarter" place along US-395 has more in common with other "Empty Quarter" places such as Pocatello, Riverton, Prescott, and Gunnison than it would with even Sacramento or San Bernardino.

Interestingly, I think that during the 28 years since that book was written, "Ecoptopia" and the furthest Western portion of "Mexamerica" have been merging together - or put somewhat differently "Mexamerica" has fragmented into a more conservative main portion, east of SoCal, and a more liberal portion, comprised of SoCal.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
I'd say northern Nevada, through Utah and Idaho.

WA, OR, and CA are West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.