Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:42 PM

51 posts, read 335,592 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in a small town in northeastern Tennessee. Many people would agree that this is one of the most gorgeous and beautiful places in the country. I am one of them. Many people would also agree that this is probably one of the least educated, least progressive, and least diverse areas in the country. I am also one of them. With its back and forth bittersweetness (and the fact that half of Florida will be up here after another Katrina), I wonder what keeps people coming to this region. I, being born here, obviously had no choice in the matter.

I am strongly considering an out-of-state move, but the problem is that I am not entirely sure where I'm headed. I've heard the Research Triangle is a nice area, as is the Phoenix-metropolitan area. I want a place that is quiet and suburban but also within twenty minutes or less of downtown access, be it via state or US highway or the Interstate. I enjoy shopping, so an area with a modern downtown/several malls would be ideal. I also like to visit state and national parks. An easy day-trip to the beach would also be a top priority.

I am currently looking at homes in South Carolina along the coast, around the Baltimore-DC metropolitan area, the San Francisco-Fresno area, and Seattle, preferrably close the Canadian border, as I would like to be able to easily commute to Vancouver, BC for a weekend shopping trip or a ferry ride. I guess right now I'm just kind of in a mental block about where to move.

Can anyone help me? I look forward to moving soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 05:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
I'm familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area - you could certainly have all these amenities close by, but you'd be spending a ton for real estate (or rent.)
Mill Valley, Sausalito, Tiburon....all the communities just north of the bridge are lovely, but very expensive.
101 traffic can be awfully sluggish, though depending on the time of day.
realtor dot com is a handy way to check out MLS listings, assuming you are planning on buying.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 PM

San Francisco is a very nice area. The price of real estate worries me, however. Right now, I'm living in a 2200 square foot 4 BR/3 BA 2 car garage w workshop house in a very trendy subdivision for only 130,000$. Maybe you can guess what that'll buy you in San Fran....It's not too much hehe. Maybe I should consider something on the east coast for the lowest price...

Old 06-18-2006, 10:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
The cheapest single family home in SF is one bedroom, 368 sf....for $370,000. (I just checked the MLS.) In an iffy neighborhood, and probably no parking within a mile.
All the areas you mentioned are extremely expensive and $130K would'nt buy you much of anything! (That's the problem with really cool cities.)

Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM

Iffy...haha. As in "second Alamo" iffy ^_^

Old 06-19-2006, 05:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
if you're looking at the SC Coast, I'd check out charleston. not downtown, but the James Island or Mount Pleasant areas. both have nearby beaches, charleston has excellent shopping, and there are state parks scattered along the coast (as well as a national park 1hr up I-26, near Columbia). I definitely wouldn't say charleston has a modern looking downtown - but that's sort of the appeal.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:43 PM

I am actually STRONGLY considering Charleston. I took a trip down there about a month ago to check out the real estate options, and I found several historic, safe, clean, upscale downtown neighborhoods with beautiful houses and great views of the coast. The cost to live in one of these neighborhoods fits right in my price range, and I could easily walk to any of the downtown stores (I actually found the historic appeal to be quite charming) like Saks 5th Avenue (Imagine! A Yankee store in Charleston LOL), Crabtree and Evelyn, Gap, or any of the several locally owned boutiques and restaurants. The nightlife was what really turned me on. You have to remember that I live in rural Tennessee where everyone and their "meemaw" pretty much turns in by about 10 pm. Not in Charleston! Way past midnight, I saw people walking to and from restaurants and theaters, and the parking garage was still considerably full. I am still looking around, but Charleston is definitely at the top of my list. Thanks for your reply!

Old 06-19-2006, 07:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
tokyopapa, I'd highly recommend Charleston. It has its very distinct high points and low points. If you're looking at historic, safe, clean, upscale downtown houses - well, you must be talking in the $1 million+ range. But you're right, the nightlife in Charleston is great, whether you're in your 20's or 60's. It is definitely a one-of-a-kind city.

check out the SC board for some threads on Charleston. You may have to do some reading to find what you're looking for, but we've discussed it at some length.

I absolutely love it, and if I could find a job there in my field, I'd move. That seems to be it's achilles heel - you definitely need to have a good paying job (or a fat bank account) to really enjoy things there. There's so much to see and do, but nearly all of it costs money. And the majority of the jobs are in the tourism industry, which often don't pay well.

good luck in your decision, though.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM

I'd definitely have to live in a 'burb or a smaller town away from Charleston to afford a house...but the downtown's still nice ^_^ I work for a telecommunications firm online, so I can work from anywhere in the world. I love it! As far as what you said about that national park near Columbia...You couldn't pay me to spend a day in that heat trap...^_^

Old 07-07-2006, 12:06 PM

74 posts, read 206,155 times
I concur w/ Charleston being nice. I visited Mt. Pleasant too and they both struck me as charming areas. In a way they remind me of how Asheville, NC was back in early 90s just before the massive developments that have taken over that mountain town, but I guess nothing stays the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.