U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2006, 05:25 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,608,917 times

Advertisements

First, I have to say that the collective wisdom found here is extraordinary. I'm new to posting here, but have been 'lurking' for awhile. This forum makes for some of the best reading I've had in a long time! My hat's off to you all.

After years of working hard (don't we all) and little time off, DH & I will be selling the business and retiring in about 3 - 4 years. We are discussing where and how we would like to live when our DD & DS are off to college and beyond. This would all take place around the same time.

Rather than mope around the empty nest, we'd like to have fun, make new friends, be involved in & enjoy a vibrant community - you get the idea.

We're boomers, won't be ready for the shuffle board or the early bird specials. No "Del Boca Vista" for us.

~ Is there a town, or region that you have found to be a great place for making new friends when you are in your 50's.

~ Where would you suggest is a good place to meet new friends when you are this age and new in town? We would be joining a church - Methodist or Christian non-denominational, so that would be a good place to start, I think.

~ Have you found an area where the people are laid back and friendly and open to new comers? (Generally speaking - nice & nasty where ever you go)

The only part of the country that would not fit the bill would be the West Coast, only because it would be too far from family. (Although I have seen places on the W. Coast that I just loved). We are presently at the S. Jersey seashore area, about 1-1/2 hours from Philadelphia.

I may be forgetting a detail of information - I'll check back and fill in the blanks as needed. Thank you in advance for your input - I know it'll make great reading!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Just bumping this up in the hopes someone has ideas. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,307,788 times
I am also from the Tri-State Area. One place I suggest you stay away from is North Carolina. I have never felt so unwelcomed anywhere I have been and that includes France. I suggest you stay right where you are at and do some travaling. Rent an RV??? Or find a short term lease and try new place before making a decision. IMO, there is no place like the Phila & SJ area. You have the best food and the best people right where you are at.
Don

Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
I am also from the Tri-State Area. One place I suggest you stay away from is North Carolina. I have never felt so unwelcomed anywhere I have been and that includes France. I suggest you stay right where you are at and do some travaling. Rent an RV??? Or find a short term lease and try new place before making a decision. IMO, there is no place like the Phila & SJ area. You have the best food and the best people right where you are at.
Don
Hi Don,
We have considered checking out North Carolina. That's a shame that you don't like it there.
Renting a place before buying is a great idea.
From the sound of your post - are considering returning to the Philly area? I noticed in a previous post of yours that you're from Mont. County. We lived in Hatboro before moving to the shore.

We thought we knew what life would be like here after visiting and staying for weeks at a time. There is no way to really tell until you live somewhere for awhile.

You are 100% right - good food in these parts!
Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,307,788 times
Adream,
I lived in North Wales. Knowing what I know now I wish I had stayed. Real estate has continued to increase there and I don’t see myself being able to buy back in. This is a hard lesson I have learned and I am trying to pass it onto other northerners. I saw NC as an opportunity, low costs, and I never considered the reason for it. Now I know the real estate market is very soft here. I will lose about $10k in selling this house in NC. That coupled with no real estate appreciation in the past year really hurts my finances. Not to mention moving costs. Locals are unreceptive of outsiders especially northerners. Services and medical care are substandard. I would highly recommend renting on the short term if you take a look at NC. Within a month I knew I made a mistake. I did give it a year and my experiences here only got worse. Now I am considering central PA or the eastern shore area.
Don

Old 07-07-2006, 10:25 PM

165 posts, read 893,394 times
Default Relocation Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream
Just bumping this up in the hopes someone has ideas. Thanks!
Adream,

I've posted similar messages in response to many of the others who share your concerns with relocation ideas. You may wish to read some of those so I don't sound like too much of a broken record (I know too late).

I think you might find some interest in the area of Southern Maryland that I described. I find my neighbors are all mature adults who are approachable and know how to have a good time. I'm going to really miss hanging out with them we have block parties (even at our age), festive get toegthers. Hell my neighbor like to invite my wife and I over to relax in their hot tub to get some time away from the kids and remember what it's like to be adults.

John
links removed

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2006 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
Adream,
I lived in North Wales. Knowing what I know now I wish I had stayed. Real estate has continued to increase there and I don’t see myself being able to buy back in. This is a hard lesson I have learned and I am trying to pass it onto other northerners. I saw NC as an opportunity, low costs, and I never considered the reason for it. Now I know the real estate market is very soft here. I will lose about $10k in selling this house in NC. That coupled with no real estate appreciation in the past year really hurts my finances. Not to mention moving costs. Locals are unreceptive of outsiders especially northerners. Services and medical care are substandard. I would highly recommend renting on the short term if you take a look at NC. Within a month I knew I made a mistake. I did give it a year and my experiences here only got worse. Now I am considering central PA or the eastern shore area.
Don
I lived in North Wales in the '80's! Small world.

What part of NC are you in now? Leaving the services and activity of Montgomery County can be an adjustment, surely. Did you move to a similar active suburb, or more rural in NC?
Hang in there, Don. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:16 PM

6,764 posts, read 21,281,603 times
Not sure where you should go (if I knew, I'd be there, too).

To meet people, try volunteering! I read this recently and my husband and I said "Duh!" because we said that we should have thought of it when we lived in PA and didn't have jobs or know anybody (it's good for networking, too).

At least you hope when you volunteer in a cause you care about you will meet likeminded people.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM

165 posts, read 893,394 times
Default Making New Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
Not sure where you should go (if I knew, I'd be there, too).

To meet people, try volunteering! I read this recently and my husband and I said "Duh!" because we said that we should have thought of it when we lived in PA and didn't have jobs or know anybody (it's good for networking, too).

At least you hope when you volunteer in a cause you care about you will meet likeminded people.

Good luck!
Volunteer is good and getting involved in global organizations is better since there's always someone who knows someone in those groups. The larger the organization that holds "conferences" quite often the better.

There's Relay for Life organizations, American Legion, AFCEA hell getting involved in the cub/boy/girl scouts with your kids can allow you the face time with some really connected people.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream
~ Is there a town, or region that you have found to be a great place for making new friends when you are in your 50's.
~ Have you found an area where the people are laid back and friendly and open to new comers? (Generally speaking - nice & nasty where ever you go)

The only part of the country that would not fit the bill would be the West Coast, only because it would be too far from family. (Although I have seen places on the W. Coast that I just loved). We are presently at the S. Jersey seashore area, about 1-1/2 hours from Philadelphia.
Any ideas on areas where you have found people to be receptive to newcomers? I've lived all over the country, and have found the Midwest and some Southern states to be very relaxed and friendly to new faces, namely SC, NC and VA. Sadly, I didn't find the same warm southern hospitality in AL, maybe I didn't meet the right people.

We have friends from Texas, and boy are they fun and friendly!

Having lived for many years in PA, if someone asked me this question, I'd have to say it's 50/50. Some of the most wonderful people we know and our best friends are from our years in PA, yet some of the harshest attitudes we encountered are from people from PA.
Now living in S. Jersey, the people here are generally quite laid back, very pleasant.
I have my experiences, I hope you'll share yours. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.