Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM

177 posts, read 969,580 times

Advertisements

I know it's not in Oregon, but I would suggest Vancouver, WA. Many people live there and commute to Portland(it's just across the columbia river). You would be close to Portland (Oregon's largest city) and all it's culture while living in a "smaller" city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachmom View Post
I know it's not in Oregon, but I would suggest Vancouver, WA. Many people live there and commute to Portland(it's just across the columbia river). You would be close to Portland (Oregon's largest city) and all it's culture while living in a "smaller" city.
I'm very drawn to Vancouver because I could work there for no income tax, then buy in Portland for no sales tax. I also have heard that washington's schools are better and I need to build up a one year residency to lower school prices significantly. It would put me close to Portland, and I could drive/take a train to Seattle. It is a very tempting place for me...

Does Vancouver have very many bums or hippies? A decent job market and hopefully not too much crime? Hopefully some jobs too! Are there schools nearby? I'll do more research on my own but I like to hear opinions from people as well because the numbers/statistics only tell you so much.

And I'm strongly considering Washington, even moreso than Oregon so the suggestions don't have to be in Oregon.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 86,288 times
Default waht about the tri-cities?

Have you checked out the tri cities yet? (Richland, pasco, kennewick).
We have an amazing job market, very inexpensive living, low crime rates, tons of son, 3 fun rivers, & lots of recreation. We are also the fastest growng area of the entire Northwest!
A community college called columbia basin C.C., and a four year degree, huge extension of WSU is also here.
Cost of living would be great for your situation and your girlfriend could start a lucrative business here washing dogs.
Just something to consider.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triselmore View Post
Have you checked out the tri cities yet? (Richland, pasco, kennewick).
We have an amazing job market, very inexpensive living, low crime rates, tons of son, 3 fun rivers, & lots of recreation. We are also the fastest growng area of the entire Northwest!
A community college called columbia basin C.C., and a four year degree, huge extension of WSU is also here.
Cost of living would be great for your situation and your girlfriend could start a lucrative business here washing dogs.
Just something to consider.
I've heard of the Tri-Cities area many times before but I heard it is kind of a desert with lots of sun. I want green with lots of rain. Otherwise it does look like a good place but I've been living with sun all my life and I really want to see some rain. It rarely ever rains here and I almost have the opposite of S.A.D. I'm really sick of seeing the sun.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I'm having such a tough decision because I think the Seattle area is the place that I would love most. The catch is that it's expensive and in danger of a massive earthquake. Or is that just hype/scare tactics? Is there a safe place I could live outside of the quake zone and still be near Seattle in a place with lots of jobs? I wanted to live in Bellevue, WA but apparently it is right on the fault! Traffic also sucks but as long as I didn't work IN Seattle I think I would be O.K.

Basically Seattle-ish area is where I want to live but I don't know if traffic, cost, and earthquakes are worth it or not...help? I keep flip-flopping between the Seattle and Portland areas, one I desire, the other is more practical.

My friend lives in Lynnwood, WA while working in Everett, WA and he seems to like it but I'm hearing mixed opinions from people on those two areas.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
New news, it looks like my friend will likely be able to get me a job in Everett, WA. My girlfriend also would prefer to live in the Seattle "area" and since I can't decide I'm just going with her.

The question is how do I get that little slice of Portland (less traffic, less rent, and not in the heart of an earthquake zone) near Seattle. I will of course change jobs in the future, and also be going to school. My ideal place to live is Bellevue, WA but it is ON the Seattle Fault. Where can I live to easily work in Everett without going through too much traffic, have bearable rent, be near Seattle and schools, but not close enough that I'm in severe earthquake danger? This may be impossible but please advise if you know such a place! As I said before he lives in Lynnwood (my friend) but I've heard mixed reviews. I doubt an area will match my description perfectly so please give me a close estimate. Thank you.

And if Bellevue, WA wouldn't be hit too hard (like Seattle would) by a quake, I would live there. I heard traffic and rent is bad though... But I can't find any data on this.

Also we would like to be out of range of any tsunami created by the earthquake! Or am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by x4fscvdvd; 04-12-2007 at 01:16 AM..

Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
New news, it looks like my friend will likely be able to get me a job in Everett, WA. My girlfriend also would prefer to live in the Seattle "area" and since I can't decide I'm just going with her.

The question is how do I get that little slice of Portland (less traffic, less rent, and not in the heart of an earthquake zone) near Seattle. I will of course change jobs in the future, and also be going to school. My ideal place to live is Bellevue, WA but it is ON the Seattle Fault. Where can I live to easily work in Everett without going through too much traffic, have bearable rent, be near Seattle and schools, but not close enough that I'm in severe earthquake danger? This may be impossible but please advise if you know such a place! As I said before he lives in Lynnwood (my friend) but I've heard mixed reviews. I doubt an area will match my description perfectly so please give me a close estimate. Thank you.

And if Bellevue, WA wouldn't be hit too hard (like Seattle would) by a quake, I would live there. I heard traffic and rent is bad though... But I can't find any data on this.

Also we would like to be out of range of any tsunami created by the earthquake! Or am I just being paranoid?
Yeah, you're being just a tad paranoid - LOL. I live in San Francisco, heart of earthquake land, and it's really not something we concern ourselves with regularly. Sure, it could happen, but so could a massive alien invasion or nuclear war. IMO, the people in "tornado alley" and hurricane land have more to worry about, since those happen more frequently and cause real damage. I've been in SF (on & off) for almost 25 years, and have only experienced one major quake - the '89 Loma Prieta. So go with your heart, and stop stressing about quakes!

P.S. Hippies aren't so bad... I swear, they're generally cool folks. A bit stinky at times, but mellow and friendly too.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 AM

This picture's for you, Shadow...

Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I don't dislike hippies, I'm just into technology and convenience, not tree-hugging. I like nature and support some of the things they do, we just don't share a ton in common is all!

I am DEFINITELY stopping by Eugene, OR on my way up to the Seattle area. It is SO beautiful, and has to be the most attractive place (visually) that I have seen in my search for a new place to live. Perhaps I will retire there, if the earthquakes don't get me first!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I don't dislike hippies, I'm just into technology and convenience, not tree-hugging. I like nature and support some of the things they do, we just don't share a ton in common is all!
LOL... don't worry, I'm just teasing you. I'm kind of in the middle - a hippie at heart, who also enjoys all the finer modern conveniences.

Quote:
I am DEFINITELY stopping by Eugene, OR on my way up to the Seattle area. It is SO beautiful, and has to be the most attractive place (visually) that I have seen in my search for a new place to live. Perhaps I will retire there, if the earthquakes don't get me first!
You really should check out Eugene, because it's a beautiful and charming city. I mentioned the Saturday market earlier, which is a really cool weekly tradition there... basically it's just an open market for local artists, with some amazing homemade food. Here's some info on it: http://www.eugenesaturdaymarket.org/ Check it out if you get a chance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.