Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM

18 posts, read 19,481 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I was hoping you could help me with a few stuff regarding moving to the US. I've been trying to find answers to my questions all over the internet but all I get is headaches but no answers !! So here's the thing ..

I am graduating this summer, from the faculty of Arts - Department of English Literature and I wanted to go to the US to earn a masters degree in psychology. I did not study psychology so I'm gonna need to take individual courses at first that would prepare me for the masters. I was hoping you could help me find a city with the following:

1. Universities offering Masters in Psychology that also offer individual courses or some way that would prepare me to the masters. (A MUST)

2. No racism !!! (Very Important)

3. A bit of a warm weather with chilly breezes in winter. Water is a bonus!

4. Somewhere where I can go out for a walk with my dog, jogging, cycling, parks; any outdoor recreation. (A MUST)

5. Natural scenery or at least just wide parks.

6. Any mode of public transportation. (Very Important)

7. Affordable appartments or student housing. (Important)

8. Safe for a single 21-year-old female. (Very Important)

So basically, I'm a 21-year-old Egyptian female. I want to go somewhere where I wouldn't be stereotyped, have things to do over there. Nothing MUCH, but I would like to find some stuff to do; concerts, outdoor activity, whatever. I need transportation coz I don't have a car. And we're not exactly rich, so I can't really afford expensive housing.

I would REALLY appreciate your help guys ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
1. University offering a masters degree in Clinical Psychology and will somehow give me the courses or preparation I need for this degree.
I had a couple of recommendations for you in Texas, but found that neither of the institutions that came to my mind offered this program.

Do you have a link to, or a list of institutions that offer Clinical Psychology programs? Those of us who are well-versed in our local areas probably don't know whether our local medical institutions offer Clinical Psych programs!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I had a couple of recommendations for you in Texas, but found that neither of the institutions that came to my mind offered this program.

Do you have a link to, or a list of institutions that offer Clinical Psychology programs? Those of us who are well-versed in our local areas probably don't know whether our local medical institutions offer Clinical Psych programs!

Well... Gradschools.com offered these results..

Clinical Psychology Graduate Programs in USA - GradSchools.com

Thank you for your reply ..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
St. Mary's University in San Antonio offers the program. San Antonio's a little lean on the outdoor amenities in your #4, but improving with some brand new linear parks. San Antonio's very affordable. I'm thinking the area around the St. Mary's campus isn't as safe as some other parts of town, but the campus itself has housing that would be OK.

I would have recommended you look at Austin, which has more of your #4, but the only CP program there at UT-Austin doesn't offer a Master's degree, just a doctorate.

University of Houston - Clear Lake might be worth a look. That's one of the "smartest" areas in Texas, with all of the NASA engineers who work at the Johnson Space Center there. The Houston forum here would be the best place to get a sense of the outdoor activities available in Clear Lake. Houston has much more humidity than San Antonio and Austin, so outdoor activities may be less appealing there during more of the year. I've visited Clear Lake about 3 times and enjoyed it. It's about midway between Houston and Galveston. Galveston is a beach/resort area that's working feverishly to recover from last year's Hurricane Ike.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Oh my God !! Thank you so much for your help Bowie! You have no idea how stumbled I was because of ALL THE OPTIONS and I couldn't have a clue from where to start looking !! I'll start looking into these options .. Thank you

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM

95 posts, read 301,132 times
Edison, NJ/New Brunswick NJ

Rutgers University in New Brunswick is a great university that i think offers Psychology majors. Another thing that might be at help is that both towns are fairly diverse, so racism isn't often a problem.
It's also fairly close to NYC if that's a plus for you
ALSO, NJ has the highest Egyptian population per capitia in the nation.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Thank you ShadinaFromJerz ..

I'll take that in consideration .. Thanks for your help

Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,683 times
I believe the Tampa Bay Area in FL would work for you. There are 2 very good universities (USF, Univ of Tampa). The weather is warm year round and gets some what chilly in the winters. I find Tampa to be quite safe. Voted one of the Best cities for the Outdoors by Forbes. A lot of Jogging and biking trails and parks aswell as the Beach and a lot of lakes. The only downside is public transportation. There are great bus systems in the area though and a Lightrail system is currently in its beginning stages.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times
Chicago

Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times
While it is true that there are tons of Egyptians in NJ, I am not sure the weather there is going to suit the OP, same with Chicago.

RTomoum, do you want to expand on what you are willing to deal with for winter weather?

Chicago and NJ get cold weather/snow in the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.