Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Cities see more diversity of people, events and cultures. I think socially people are more use to being around people different than they are, and are more liberal and accepting and "live and let live".
See the above post.

Quote:
In more rural areas or suburbs where you might find 100% of the same type of people, it can be more traditional in culture and values.
I've found more homogeneous areas to be more accepting of diversity, not the other way around.

Quote:
They also seem to be submursed in religion more than city areas I've witnessed - which can lead to a more rigid lifestyle and a more conservative way of thinking.
Probably true, which isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
People are accepting of things they are use to - and not as liberal in their thinking.
In no way, shape, or form would I ever subscribe to Marxist thinking, considering that it fails miserably, economically, socially, and culturally in ensuring a strong, stable country. I've had plenty of exposure to a variety of areas to realize that what you speak has little validity, outside of someone brainwashing someone with particular views.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Perhaps cities are places where people go for new things, new experiences, etc. In particular where unmarried people go to find adventure. A love of novelty doesn't really fit with the traditional idea of conservatism. And young unmarried people seeking adventure often means something very unconservative. (In ye olden times, booze and easy women. In modern times drugs and "action" of a heterosexual or homosexual nature) Or, for those born in cities, they give more opportunities for new and exciting things.
Drugs and homosexual behaviors are "exciting"?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, I was going to say - I wonder what point of view he/she is coming from.

I can see the points in the post, but they seem to be mixed up as far as cause and effect. Like the whole "person X is conservative because they're white, person Y is liberal because they're black". Obviously there are millions of very liberal white people in cities, and their skin color or minority status isn't the REASON they're liberal.
Of course there are millions of "liberals" in cities. I gave many reasons for why they are located and/or gravitate to such areas.

All six items listed aren't linked. They are merely a detached list of reasons why the cities are more "liberal" as a whole, while rural areas are more conservative/traditional as a whole.

Quote:
People aren't born liberal and move to the city, or born conservative and move to the country. People are for the most part shaped by their surroundings and the people they're near.
While parental influence and upbringing is huge in a person's personal views, without modern day cultural Marxist thought, a person would rarely gravitate to such irrational beliefs or points of view. After all, they fly in the face of common sense or reality.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:24 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Drugs and homosexual behaviors are "exciting"?
Homosexual behavior is exciting to us homosexuals

As for drugs -- um I believe our biggest drug problem to date is meth; which is by far and large a problem in rural communities.

Also, plenty of us gay people in rural areas; just cuz we don't swish like a stereotype doesn't mean we're not there. Plus in rural communities it's a little scarier to be open about one's sexuality as most "gay bashings" occur outside of liberal areas.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Homosexual behavior is exciting to us homosexuals
Just because it is exciting to you doesn't make it right.

Quote:
As for drugs -- um I believe our biggest drug problem to date is meth; which is by far and large a problem in rural communities.
I agree. In select rural communities, meth is a huge problem. People are crazy to put such poisons into their bodies.

Quote:
Also, plenty of us gay people in rural areas; just cuz we don't swish like a stereotype doesn't mean we're not there. Plus in rural communities it's a little scarier to be open about one's sexuality as most "gay bashings" occur outside of liberal areas.
Who is "bashing" gays? Objection to homosexual behavior does not constitute "bashing", nor should you be shocked when someone disagrees with a lifestyle that doesn't follow the mold for procreation within the animal kingdom.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
Quote:
Just because it is exciting to you doesn't make it right.

I agree. In select rural communities, meth is a huge problem. People are crazy to put such poisons into their bodies.

Who is "bashing" gays? Objection to homosexual behavior does not constitute "bashing", nor should you be shocked when someone disagrees with a lifestyle that doesn't follow the mold for procreation within the animal kingdom.
I was referring to rural/conservative areas and how they pertain to gay people and as it pertains to this thread, not discussing with you your views on homosexuality or my views, etc. . Please take your political and religious arguments to the proper forums. They don't belong here, I don't care to read them and that is why I don't visit those forums. Thank you.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
What about the city makes people sway more to the left? Is it the environment, or does the city just attract people with more left views? My theory is that there is a much larger community of poor people, and dems tend to be more concerned with poverty and social justice type issues, perhaps because of this. What do you think?
People who live in cities are greatly affected by the actions (good or bad) of those around them. One of the difficult adjustments for me, moving from rural to urban, was the trust that you are required to place in your fellow man. You're constantly relying on your fellow man to stop at a stoplight instead of running you over, to keep his/her diseases to themselves, etc.

People who live in the country are just not much affected by what anyone else chooses to do. Personal responsibility, taking care of yourself, is a priority.

This leads to different philosophies on the government's role in maintaining an orderly, productive society.

This is why I am for federalism, so urban areas are free to implement policies that suit them, and rural areas are free to implement policies that suit them.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:16 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Interesting. What say you Republicans? Conservatives? Religious right? Why do you think that when a town has a college in it, it becomes more liberal? Is it because its just filled with more weed smoking drunken A-moral hippsters? Or is there something to be said about the exposure to more education?
maybe cuz 98% of college professors are liberal, and they teach what to think and not how to think.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
See the above post.

I've found more homogeneous areas to be more accepting of diversity, not the other way around.

Probably true, which isn't a bad thing.

In no way, shape, or form would I ever subscribe to Marxist thinking, considering that it fails miserably, economically, socially, and culturally in ensuring a strong, stable country. I've had plenty of exposure to a variety of areas to realize that what you speak has little validity, outside of someone brainwashing someone with particular views.

Have you spent more than a "fun" weekend in the city???? haha.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Of course there are millions of "liberals" in cities. I gave many reasons for why they are located and/or gravitate to such areas.

All six items listed aren't linked. They are merely a detached list of reasons why the cities are more "liberal" as a whole, while rural areas are more conservative/traditional as a whole.

While parental influence and upbringing is huge in a person's personal views, without modern day cultural Marxist thought, a person would rarely gravitate to such irrational beliefs or points of view. After all, they fly in the face of common sense or reality.

The hell's with all the "marxist" statements? I wanted to react, but this is so "burning witches" it doesn't seem rational.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 05-31-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.