Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times

Advertisements

Interesting when will some one make a map this detailed for the five NW states, Wash, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyo. Hint hint, someone take on the challenge hahha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Interesting when will some one make a map this detailed for the five NW states, Wash, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyo. Hint hint, someone take on the challenge hahha.
That is like the most uninteresting part of the country. To me Washington and Oregon are the only once that can be considered PNW.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That is like the most uninteresting part of the country. To me Washington and Oregon are the only once that can be considered PNW.
Ooofff that hurts hahaha, you been here? Probably not check it out, its actually pretty cool. People say that about PNW, but thats not what I was I talking about, I said five NW states not the PNW specifically. Crazy a*s white water, mountains, and forests everywhere you turn. Potatoes are actually in short supply.

The most uninteresting part of the US? Really, even more so than Iowa, Kansas, most of the North East save for the big cities, unless that's your bag. Seriously, this area is actually pretty cool, as long as you can get past the the whole urban thing, there is some cool sh*t beyond huge a*s cities.

You just waste away in those cities man, waste away. I dunno I been around the country and this spot seems more appealing whenever I come back home.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Not all of the Catholic areas are suburban. There are some very rural & Catholic areas. The town of Ste Genevieve for instance was founded & settled by the French, then settled by Germans later. Most of the population is rural & Catholic. The pro-life billboards can be found as far South as Perry County, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a St. Louis thing. I'm not sure if there are billboards like that in other parts of the country, but I personally have never seen them, and I've driven all over the Bible Belt.

I think the prevelance of Catholicism is a good indicator of the Midwest & the South's boundaries. This data is from 2000, so things may have changed. Everything North of Cape Girardeau is the Midwest, and very Catholic (except Jefferson Co for some reason). Cape Girardeau & Scott County are the transitional areas. Then around Mississippi & New Mardid County, you're in the South and there are very few Catholics.

Percentage of Catholics in 2000. (North to South)
St. Louis County- 30%
Jefferson County- 15%
Ste. Genevieve County- 50%
Perry County- 46%
Cape Girardeau County- 15%
Scott County- 16%
Mississippi County- 3%
New Madrid County- 4%

Jefferson kinda throws everything off, but you see what I mean

The Midwestern to Southern accent also seems to follow this same trend. It's pretty interesting to experience the subtle transition from one region to the next.

I know there are rural Catholic areas in Missouri. It generally is along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers out from St. Louis. It also overlaps where Lutherans will exist in the state. I am thinking the lower percentages in Jefferson might be due to where people from other parts of the state or further South go to when they move into the St. Louis area.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You are right, it is not part of the Appalachians! In any way shape or form. I would almost not consider northwestern MS deeop south either, but what do I know
quote from me a little earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
looking back at this map, i feel my two biggest mistakes were

1) going by appalachian regional commision definiton, as opposed to a true appalachian culture area

2) not making it clear that there are many urban areas that dont necessarily conform to their surrounding culture areas

Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
that is no conincidince. the southern culture was in missouri first, but in low popualtions. the german immigration and industrialization came through and changed all that. as catholics began to outnumber others in the country, the dialect dies off.

heres a map of catholic popualtion:

The first culture in Missouri was French Catholic in both Ste Genevive and St. Louis.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Ooofff that hurts hahaha, you been here? Probably not .
Yes, I lived in Tacoma for 8 years.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
The first culture in Missouri was French Catholic in both Ste Genevive and St. Louis.
whatever, it was first for the inland areas of missouri that i was talking about

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
I highly doubt the validity of that statement. Do Native American cultures not "count", or did Native Americans avoid Missouri all together for some reason

Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No facts, but lots of Southern Lousiana transplants and creole and cajun culture with that area.

This is very true...Ive met a few black catholics in Southeast Texas/Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.