Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I think an area should at least be in the Appalachian mountains to be considered "Appalachian".
Much of north Alabama is part of the Appalachian Mountain chain. Those mountains and hills surround Birmingham, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Talladega.
Many of the people in that area are descended from Appalachian folks who migrated to Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yes, it's alive and well. The younger generation tends to mask the accent, but they can bring it out when they want to.
Really? That's a shame.

It was in a store where I heard it and I suppose the area must have had a lot of Gullah folks because I remember that both the customers and employees sounded Gullah.

Visiting from the Upstate, a few of the other people I was with were wondering if they were Jamaican!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
Native Texan here. Your Cajun border in texas is spot on, you find a lot of the Bayou culture just up to the Houston area. But, your Western South goes too far west. Turn your western border south at Tulsa, continue the line through Dallas, Waco, Austin and turn Southeast through Victoria to the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
The Transition zone, Western South and Cajun Country extend too far westward into Texas. Other than that the map is great.
On the contrary, I would say JJW's map did it about right into western Texas. Ok, yeah, I suppose there are personal reasons for saying so (LOL), but it recognizes something that is oft misunderstood or ignored. That is, that even West Texas is more "Southern" than "Western". For sure, it doesn't fit the common image of the traditional South in terms of topography or much associated...but at the same time, settled by Southerners, it has more in common with the southeast than the interior Southwest or Rocky Mountain states.

It gets "iffy" I know...but the Southern Baptist Church dominates, and there is no doubt that the general speech patterns are Southern American English. And that Confederate monuments are found on just about any county courthouse in West Texas.

No question that if travelling east to west "the South" begins to fade a bit once one gets past the 100th parallel. Yet no question either that, in travelling west to east, the South begins somewhere along the Texas/New Mexico border in terms of basic history and culture...

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-31-2009 at 11:55 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
TexasReb...Still arguing for your state I see.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
TexasReb...Still arguing for your state I see.
Well, of course...GP...what else could be expected out of me?

I once saw a "gimme" cap that read: TEXAS: THE BEST OF DIXIE

I gotta git me one of them! LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-01-2009 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There is nothing culturally in common between West Virginia and Northern Mississippi. In reality, the Appalachian region should stop in NE AL.
That's kind of funny, since it seems most every survey of the past few years, from poverty, to education and diet has found West Virginia shoulder to shoulder with Alabama and Mississippi.
I find the map inaccurate, like the last map you made, in the West Virginia/Virginia border. It should extend up the Alleghany's and Shenandoah. The southern accent in WV stops just about Clarksburg and you have it far south of that.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
One of the best maps I've seen. A little touch up on Cajun Country.. it extends a little too far into Texas, imo. I'd also let it touch New Orleans with the gridlike squares. Also, the Deep South also extends slightly too far west into Texas. You pegged MS river delta correctly in the Deep South in AR, TN, and MS.. Very good work.
If Charleston/Savannah gets its own region then so should New Orleans. It's not Cajun country and its definitely not traditional deep south. Orther than that, it's the closest to accurate map I've seen on C-D so far.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
That's kind of funny, since it seems most every survey of the past few years, from poverty, to education and diet has found West Virginia shoulder to shoulder with Alabama and Mississippi.
I find the map inaccurate, like the last map you made, in the West Virginia/Virginia border. It should extend up the Alleghany's and Shenandoah. The southern accent in WV stops just about Clarksburg and you have it far south of that.
I was actually thinking the same thing about West Virginia. While the northern half of the state may not be "strong southern", its probably even less Midwestern or Northeastern --- except for maybe the panhandle areas. Heh so Southern Mountain Light perhaps?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Much of north Alabama is part of the Appalachian Mountain chain. Those mountains and hills surround Birmingham, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Talladega.
Many of the people in that area are descended from Appalachian folks who migrated to Alabama.
I know, but that map extends too far south and west in AL. And none of MS should be in the Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.