Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How about when your coworker carries around the bible when he walks around the office, and has their desktop full of bible quotes on a corporate computer?
Welcome to the deep south.
ok now that's freaky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's why I clarified what I said by saying it's ok in someone's home. Outside the home and church is when I don't think it's good to do, because you never know what religion people are or what God they pray to.
I would agree that its "ok", but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable for their non-practicing guests.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have never seen this here, but I agree - that is what I consider wearing your religion on your sleeve. I don't think it should be allowed. You do NOT mix religion with the workplace.
Well this guy commutes from Quitman, Georgia. It is also a professional State of FL office...
I've never had a problem at peoples houses, I'm just like ...whatever. I view it more as cultural aspects as many cultures are really tied to religion. I mean it is nothing near the stuff experienced in Muslim africa... where you hear ALLLAHHHHH AKBARRRR playing 5 times a day over a citywide intercom system, w/ people stopping in traffic to pray on a mat.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I would agree that its "ok", but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable for their non-practicing guests.
True, that's basically what I've been trying to say. I've been to people's houses where they pray before dinner, and I respect it, but i'm a little uncomfortable by it since I'm not used to doing it. Doesn't mean I won't bow my head during prayer. But if I were religious and had guests over that I knew weren't religious, I wouldn't pray while I had them over since I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
True, that's basically what I've been trying to say. I've been to people's houses where they pray before dinner, and I respect it, but i'm a little uncomfortable by it since I'm not used to doing it. Doesn't mean I won't bow my head during prayer. But if I were religious and had guests over that I knew weren't religious, I wouldn't pray while I had them over since I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable.
K, we seem to have the same opinion of that then. I'm not at all against religion, just very unfamiliar with it.

I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was to a church my ex's family brought me to. They had this weird singing thing followed by hugs and handshakes for everyone sitting near you.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I don't know how many of you remember this, but there was an instance of a pilot of a large commerical airline who got on the PA system, in flight, and asked the passengers to pray with him. Apart from it being very unprofessional, think how you would feel at 50,000 feet if the pilot began praying? Our pilot is praying. Does he know something we don't know? Have we been hijacked? Is this plane going to crash? Are we going to die? That pilot caused panic among his passengers.

He had to publicly apologize. The airline had to publicly apologize. Very, very bad judgment on that pilot's part.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't know how many of you remember this, but there was an instance of a pilot of a large commerical airline who got on the PA system, in flight, and asked the passengers to pray with him. Apart from it being very unprofessional, think how you would feel at 50,000 feet if the pilot began praying? Our pilot is praying. Does he know something we don't know? Have we been hijacked? Is this plane going to crash? Are we going to die? That pilot caused panic among his passengers.

He had to publicly apologize. The airline had to publicly apologize. Very, very bad judgment on that pilot's part.
Ha, I would have been pissed.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Default When they had their feet on sold ground

Quote:
Ha, I would have been pissed.

that was exactly those passengers reaction.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Catholic Mass?

Quote:
K, we seem to have the same opinion of that then. I'm not at all against religion, just very unfamiliar with it.

I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was to a church my ex's family brought me to. They had this weird singing thing followed by hugs and handshakes for everyone sitting near you.
Peace be to you. And also with you. Then people say peace and shake hands with those around them.

It's fairly new. They never used to do that years ago.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
This thread which originally asked a good thoughtful question has now digressed to the standard South/Christian bashing. Do you ever see any Christians on here bashing people for not praying before a meal or any other time for that matter -
you do not. These posters wouldn't feel comfortable with the US Senate either, because they begin every session with prayer. If someone praying in their own home before a meal is the complaint you decide to write about on here, that's very petty. Should they complain if they go to your house and you don't pray before you eat - they would feel just as uncomfortable, but it's always the Christian who has no consideration or tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.