Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeglass View Post
This thread which originally asked a good thoughtful question has now digressed to the standard South/Christian bashing. Do you ever see any Christians on here bashing people for not praying before a meal or any other time for that matter -
you do not. These posters wouldn't feel comfortable with the US Senate either, because they begin every session with prayer. If someone praying in their own home before a meal is the complaint you decide to write about on here, that's very petty. Should they complain if they go to your house and you don't pray before you eat - they would feel just as uncomfortable, but it's always the Christian who has no consideration or tolerance.
Wheres the bashing? We simply said we felt uncomfortable. No different than stating "I'm in a bad mood". Lighten up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Peace be to you. And also with you. Then people say peace and shake hands with those around them.

It's fairly new. They never used to do that years ago.
New, really? It's always been done as far as I know, and that's more decades than I like typing, much less saying.

I have to admit that being a Californian I'm really way more comfortable being in California. Or actually, all the way up and down the West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver, Canada. When I lived out of state I could at times feel acutely judged, as some representative of this otherplace, this "California", though that was also going from a large city to a smaller town. Of course, I relaxed about it and sometimes it was in my own head, for sure. I am only an individual, after all. But then a stray snide comment from someone would bring it screaming about again. This unwanted ambassadorship had few perqs; it was certainly hidden as best I could hide it. It was when I was with fellow Californians that we could just spontaneously...relax...like we were free for the moment from what we were perceived to be, that not every gesture or comment was meant to be reflective of my somehow totalizing "California"-ness, whatever that was (I'm still not even sure).

Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
I love the traditional culture of my home and current state, California. That culture is a very down to earth, middle class, rural / cowboy culture. Sadly, since my state has been taken over by carpetbaggers and non assimilated immigrants, the traditional culture is fading away. So, after spending over 40+ years here, I may have to try and find somewhere else I'll be comfortable. I have my eyes on two areas - the southern plains / Llano Estacado, and, the Fall Line of the SE US. Wish me luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You can put your head down, think about the weather, your mortgage payment, whatever, and nobody will know the difference. You just be quiet and show respect to your host who invited you into their home. If it really bothers you, don't go back anymore.

As I said in another post, in a public professional circumstance that is a different matter.
Good advice. I think that those of us who are not religious can certainly be tolerant of little traditions like the mealtime blessing. My family had a standard one that we said before each meal...I never even thought of it as religious - just as something that we always did, kind of like celebrating Christmas or saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes. Blessing a meal is really an ancient Jewish tradition, but is common in many world cultures. In addition to being a long-standing Christian practice, Islamic grace before meals is customary. So this is TRULY not a "North vs. South" discussion.

More good advice on how to act:

"If one is not religious and the rest of the table is saying grace, it is considered to be polite and culturally appropriate to quietly observe or just bow one's head. It is often considered impolite or incorrect to start eating before grace has been said and completed."

Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Great post and I completely agree!
Thank you.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ahem, if its MY house and MY food, I'll say grace with or without company at the table. My house, my rules.
If visiting, I'll quietly drop my head in a short, silent prayer over my meal. Nobody is expected to go along with it.

If my host/hostess disapproves of my doing so, there's a simple solution. Dont invite me again.
Absolutely!!!! Great post hon!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How about when your coworker carries around the bible when he walks around the office, and has their desktop full of bible quotes on a corporate computer?
Or how about the overly religious coworker, who has been told by management he can get a raise if he gets a certification, but opts out because he doesn't believe in non religious forms of education.
Welcome to the deep south.
And?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
They had this weird singing thing followed by hugs and handshakes for everyone sitting near you.
My church does that too, it's called "welcoming"

Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Wheres the bashing? We simply said we felt uncomfortable. No different than stating "I'm in a bad mood". Lighten up.
I think referring to someone's religious practices as "freaky" constitutes bashing.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think referring to someone's religious practices as "freaky" constitutes bashing.
Ah, maybe it is and I used the wrong word for it. It's "freaky" or "uncomfortable" (to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.