Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 PM

24 posts, read 50,826 times

Advertisements

As an alien who has lived here for some time, there is something about america that really surprises me; when you go outside of big cities, all you see is religious zealots! Its hard to believe this demographic consisting such a large portion of a "first world" country that, at least to outsiders, is the symbol of liberalism and wisdom and thought... kinda disappointing!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Some posts above were deleted. Negative premise threads tend to go downhill in a hurry. You can do your part to make this one the exception if you consider the following section of the TOS before you reply.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I live in a medium sized city and don't see these people.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
As an alien who has lived here for some time, there is something about america that really surprises me; when you go outside of big cities, all you see is religious zealots! Its hard to believe this demographic consisting such a large portion of a "first world" country that, at least to outsiders, is the symbol of liberalism and wisdom and thought... kinda disappointing!
You see what you want to see in any area. Large city or rural area. If you expect to see "religious zelots" you will. If you expect to see down home, family values, community service types; you will. If you expect to see Godless heathens you will.

Liberalism, wisdom and thought, do NOT exclude religion usually.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Perhaps you forays into rural America have been in more conservative regions? We are a big nation, and it's hard to categorize people, even within regions.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Just because someone is religious, doesn't make them a zealot.

Suburbs and rural areas tend to have larger religious populations. That's pretty standard. But in most cases, the people you're referring to are just normal people. I don't understand the perception that being religious automatically makes you a backwards hick, because that's clearly not the case in most of the US.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Since when has absence of religion, liberalism, and wisdom become synonymous?

You do realize many people stake claim to the liberal[non religious] party simply because of the fabricated image of tolerance, progressiveness, the non-white, and to follow what they perceive as being trendy.

Please, I consider myself neither but there is just as many liberal Atheist zealots polluting this country. Stay a bit longer and learn something.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
In small often the church is one of the main sources of people getting together and socializing. It has been this way since America economy was primarily agricultural. People in the city do not "need" one another as much because there are so many other opportunities; however, in a small town environment, people do need each other more.

You will find also that country folk tend to be conservative and family-oriented and some of them quite religious. Whether or not you consider someone a zealot, is a matter of interpretation, I would say.

Also, often, if you scratch the surface, putting forth an image of being a "good church-going Christian" is often a survival mechanism and many of these folks are not so religious as they would have you believe they are. They play the game to be accepted and be part of the community.

Believe me, there are plenty of people in the country who are NOT religious at all. But they tend to not advertise that fact.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
But in most cases, the people you're referring to are just normal people.
That's what I thought too. Until you ask some of them for in depth opinions. Then I realized that there are many more insane people than is generally believed.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Please, I consider myself neither but there is just as many liberal Atheist zealots polluting this country. Stay a bit longer and learn something.
Considering that atheists are a fragment of the general population, I'd find this hard to believe, literally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.