Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
I think your aunt was just angry because it's her EX-family You can find rude people on both sides of the ocean...

For me, shocking is that Americans drive to anywere.... they don't like to walk. So cities can be completely dead and their is no "real" personal contact...
On the other side, Europeans are conservative when it comes to driving. 200 miles from here? How far!

Another fact is the difference in humor. Some European people mention that American people have a childish humor....

America is so large that it' kind of hard not to have a car unless you live in a major city like New York.

Americans have a very different sense of humor than Europe. I have watched many British progams and I did not find them funny at all...they have a very dry sense of humor. I don't know if I would call American humor childish just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 AM

102 posts, read 310,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
[/b]

America is so large that it' kind of hard not to have a car unless you live in a major city like New York.

Americans have a very different sense of humor than Europe. I have watched many British progams and I did not find them funny at all...they have a very dry sense of humor. I don't know if I would call American humor childish just different.

Sacha Boran Cohen is hilarious. He's the guy who does Ali G, Borat, and Bruno. Even though most of his skits are making fun of Americans .

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
[/b]

Different cultures find different things funny. I think Reader's Digest recently did an article on this.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
[/b]

I never quite connected with Monty Python, but I had a ton of friends that were in love with it. But I love Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served?...British comedies that air on PBS. Benny Hill was always pretty funny too, back in the day.

I don't really think that American humor is only one type of humor. It has a wide range of styles IMO.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
I've known a couple girls who came over here as au pairs from Denmark and Germany, and what seemed to surprise them was:

1. How big the houses in the suburbs are

2. How life in the suburbs seems to discourage interacting with others

3. How much we pay for college

4. How visibly slummy east DC is.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I never quite connected with Monty Python, but I had a ton of friends that were in love with it. But I love Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served?...British comedies that air on PBS. Benny Hill was always pretty funny too, back in the day.

I don't really think that American humor is only one type of humor. It has a wide range of styles IMO.
Yup. America is fairly diverse. At present, and IMO, comedy is in a bit of the doldrums in the US. Still I'd say we have or have had some pretty intelligent comedies. Steven Wright's humor is fairly dry and intelligent. He also scored on a Channel 4, a British channel, list of great comedians. Other Americans on Channel 4's "Comedian's Comedian" list include Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, and Mel Brooks. We have a good deal of Black and Jewish humor, quite likely more than most any nation. (Obviously Britain has Black and Jewish comedians, but I think the US likely has a good deal more of both)

There are also still some good dramedies or just dramas with comedy in them. Pixar and the Coen Brothers have done some fairly smart comedy or comedy/drama films. Granted Pixar is ostensibly for kids, but I would say it's in many ways more mature than many comedies for older audiences. Possibly because they want to reach parents and grandparents more than they want to reach teenage boys. Hence their most recent movie had a main character who is an elderly widower, not exactly what you do for teenage fare.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

And I loved Monty Python but couldn't stand Benny Hill.

You are correct about different types of humor. I was in the video store a long time ago and looking in the comedy section. I happened to chat with a couple in the same section and they recommended this movie called "Where's Poppa" and said it was hilarious. I rented it and it was probably one of the most annoying movies I ever saw. But the couple who recommended it to me was Jewish and I was not. It might be hilarious if you grew up with a Jewish mother and in Jewish traditions. We didn't get the humor.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I've known a couple girls who came over here as au pairs from Denmark and Germany, and what seemed to surprise them was:

1. How big the houses in the suburbs are

2. How life in the suburbs seems to discourage interacting with others

3. How much we pay for college

4. How visibly slummy east DC is.
Really??? What suburbs they visited because those opinions don't seem to match suburban living in Texas.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM

12 posts, read 19,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Unfortunately the last negative shock you mentioned about geographic ignorance is sadly all too true! There are people here who could name every player on the local baseball or football team --- but who cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia.
I don't speak Austrian. Sorry.
\
bama:

Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative
Unfortunately the last negative shock you mentioned about geographic ignorance is sadly all too true! There are people here who could name every player on the local baseball or football team --- but who cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia.
That is simply a matter of personal interests...of course, a well-rounded person would know all of the baseball or football players AND easily see that the difference between Austria and Australia is "al".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.