Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

Right you are. I'm actually from SW Michigan, but to me the Straits and the Northwest Coast are what make Michigan "Michigan". I'd recommend a drive up the Northwest coast. from Traverse City to the Straits. The coastal towns are amazing and Mackinac island is awesome, especially watching a sunset behind the bridge...The U.P. has a certain wild beauty to it too. So many cedars....

I've only driven through upstate NY once, (NYC to Rochester) but remember it being very pretty. I heard the Adirondacks are pretty amazing too, and hope to get up there someday.
If you do come back to New York (or even passing through to New England or NYC) I recommend you take the "Quickway" which has been updated to the brand new I-86. This travels through the Allegheny Plateau, similar to the hills and small mountains you mentioned you saw in Ohio. Very scenic, and speaking of scenic your not the first person who mentioned the Michigan side of Lake Michigan! What is the Lake Huron side like?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Here are some ads that we're running around the country to get people to come here for tourism. I was pleased to see them in North Carolina last week. I wonder if anyone else has seen them.

View Our Ads - Pure Michigan Travel
I've been seeing the ads here in Wisconsin for months now, they even have Tim Allen narrating for them. I must admit that they really are great tourism ads, but it seems like a waste of time to be advertising in Wisconsin. I mean seriously, it would be hard to find two states that are more similar to one another. That would be like Alabama running tourism ads in Mississippi.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM

306 posts, read 476,049 times
Outside of the big cities, the Midwest is pretty boring. But the cities are fresh so you don't notice it at all if you live in one.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Outside of the big cities, the Midwest is pretty boring. But the cities are fresh so you don't notice it at all if you live in one.
That can be said about ANY area in the US.. (of course outdoor activities differ).

Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I didn't compare Columbus and Omaha. That you gleaned that from my post illustrates a deficiency of reading comprehension on your part rather than ignorance on mine.
Hey calm down. There is no comparison is my whole point. The large cities in the midwest differ so much. You stated 'How many people can tell the difference between ____' or somewhere along those lines. If you can't tell the difference between Columbus and Omaha, something isn't right there! That was pretty much the basis of my reply to you.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:23 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
I think one of the reasons the Midwest gets a bum rap for sure is for its winters. Even the southernmost parts of the Missouri, Illinois, and Kansas often get below freezing and generally see at least 12 inches of snow, and ice is fairly frequent as well. And obviously the Great Lakes cities get mounds of snow and very freezing temperatures. The Lower Midwest also gets pretty brutal summers. The Upper Midwest usually is pretty pleasant in the summer, but it's perfectly capable of getting into the 90s even in Minneapolis. Roughly all of the Midwest is very humid as well, so generally when it gets hot it gets very humid and the heat index makes it feel considerably hotter than it is. Not to mention, the weather is often unpredictable. I think the weather certainly is one reason why the Midwest gets a bum rap, particularly the Lower Midwest, as both summers and winters are generally pretty bad, especially near the rivers.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Hey calm down. There is no comparison is my whole point. The large cities in the midwest differ so much. You stated 'How many people can tell the difference between ____' or somewhere along those lines. If you can't tell the difference between Columbus and Omaha, something isn't right there! That was pretty much the basis of my reply to you.
I agree with this statement. The Midwestern cities, while sharing a lot in common, are also very distinguishable from each other. This is true of cities within any region. No region is a homogenous mixture.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM

85 posts, read 317,174 times
Quote:
I've grown up in the midwest my whole life, but I often get the impression that people don't like it that much. It's not like I have a chip on my shoulder, but it seems like the midwest, overall is maligned more than other regions. We're the "rust belt", boring, with bumpkin-ish people, the land is boring etc...

So why does the Midwest get a bum rap from so many people--or is it just in my head?

mackinac
In my experience, the midwest gets a bum rap from people who have never been here, or people who expect Vegas style entertainment and a steady supply of Gucci. Even if you don't live somewhere larger, you can still find things to do and enjoy life. In fact, you can enjoy life more because you don't really need flashy things to distract you and make you feel enertained.
We may have a boring rep, but really that's just fine because the slow, friendly pace of life is- I think-one of the best things about being here.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You seen them in Philadelphia? I have seen the Michigan ads also in NY(there are a couple of them) and you are right they are very good! Maybe not the best time to do them in a recession and gas prices going up --- but simply worth the money anyway, if nothing else to counter the Detroit stereotype of Michigan.
It turns out they're being aired nationwide, and to the contrary, I think now is the perfect time to show them.

People in general right now are looking for "back to basics".... less extravagance and nostalgic things that take them back to a simpler time.

I think that the "Pure Michigan" commercials touch on that.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
Saying you have more fun by not being distracted by more options is pathetic. I am sorry. That they have something flashy there doesn't mean everybody has to be flashy. It is just that if you want to be flashy, you have the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer'sDaughter View Post
In my experience, the midwest gets a bum rap from people who have never been here, or people who expect Vegas style entertainment and a steady supply of Gucci. Even if you don't live somewhere larger, you can still find things to do and enjoy life. In fact, you can enjoy life more because you don't really need flashy things to distract you and make you feel enertained.
We may have a boring rep, but really that's just fine because the slow, friendly pace of life is- I think-one of the best things about being here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.