Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times

Advertisements

The statements that Marce30 is making should not be defended against....they speak volumes...

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
No topography, coastline, natural beauty

Duluth Minnesota

Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The midwest is politically very very moderate, often they are considered swing states. Hicks and rednecks, yes we have alot of rural areas, but midwesterners are not uneducated hicks. Rural midwesterners are practical reserved people, hardly crazy rednecks. Stupid???? come on, ever heard of Ohio state? University of Michgian, University of Wisconsin, Noter Dame, Iowa state, Northwestern, need I go on??? Some of the best universities in the nation are here and many of us have degrees from them. Living in the 50s???? well old fashioned values are often embraced here so Ill take that one as a compliment. If America had the values of the 1950s we would not be in the shape we are now would we? Its clear to me youve never been here so maybe you should visit and see how nice it is up here. Who would want to live here??? Millions of us want to live here, so maybe you should re think your ideas about us.
Ok, ok, relax. The comment you were responding too was pretty "out there." For me, the main reason for not wanting to live there is that, if you've lived in warm or mild weather areas most of your whole life, and you want to live in shorts/flip flops as much of the year as possible, it's not the place to do it.

Yeah, all those schools you mentioned are great. I don't think I could handle how conservative Notre Dame would be.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
No topography, coastline, natural beauty

Duluth Minnesota
If you're addressing my earlier post, I said "not enough." I will grant you that the North Woods of MN and the whole UP area of Michigan are gorgeous. I'm actually more interested in seeing Duluth than I am in the Twin Cities, which I've already seen for a 3-day work trip.

Edit: I am NO fan of the Intermountain West, so I won't defend that part of the West.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Ok, ok, relax. The comment you were responding too was pretty "out there." For me, the main reason for not wanting to live there is that, if you've lived in warm or mild weather areas most of your whole life, and you want to live in shorts/flip flops as much of the year as possible, it's not the place to do it.

Yeah, all those schools you mentioned are great. I don't think I could handle how conservative Notre Dame would be.

I do respect your reasons for not wanting to be here. If you dont like a cold climate I get that. In fact after visiting south Florida this winter I can understand why so many feel that way. There is something about being able to wear shorts in January that is enticing. That previous poster just was really insulting, so I just had to respond to it.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you're addressing my earlier post, I said "not enough." I will grant you that the North Woods of MN and the whole UP area of Michigan are gorgeous. I'm actually more interested in seeing Duluth than I am in the Twin Cities, which I've already seen for a 3-day work trip.

Edit: I am NO fan of the Intermountain West, so I won't defend that part of the West.
I wasn't addressing just one post but still we have plenty of natural beauty. Iowa and Indiana have beautiful river valleys and rolling hills. I know its nothing like the scenery out West but still its not bad at all.

Btw if your in the Twin Cities and looking for good scenery you only need to go about 20 minutes NE to Stillwater

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM

189 posts, read 400,029 times
Did someone seriously just argue that the midwest has no cultural amenities outside of Chicago?

Does the second largest theater district in the country count? How about an Orchestra ranked among the top ten in the world? World class museums? Thriving fine arts scene? National park ten minutes outside of town?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Yet, in 2008, Obama WON these Midwest states:

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota

Obama LOST the following non-Midwest states:

Montana
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Wyoming
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
West Virginia
Alaska
North Dakota
South Dakota

And violent storms? As opposed to earthquakes, mudslides, drought and forest fires in California? Hurricanes and drought in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Alabama and Mississippi? Drought in much of the west plus Texas and Oklahoma?

And your boring topography claim is ridiculous. Ever stood at the shore of one of the Great Lakes? Yea, too bad that can't be as exciting as Nevada or 90 percent of Wyoming along the I-80 or I-90 corridors. Ever been in the middle of one of the old-growth forests of northern Michigan, southeast Ohio, Wisconsin or Minnesota? And if it's the farmland of Indiana, Illinois and Iowa that you're mocking - where do you think much of what you eat is grown?

Seriously, the arrogance is suffocating. ...
It seems the only time the midwest region is in the news is when some midwestern town gets wiped out by a supercell (tornado) which seems to be a couple times a year MINIMUM!! Oh, and not to mention baseball sized hail that will crack your head open if you are caught outside..I'll take my chances here in the Bay Area with a once in a generation earthquake that might net some serious damage. There has only been two earthquakes in over 100 years that have been 7.0 and above.

It seems you don't know California. Less than a hours drive from San Francisco is the California Central Valley that looks every bit Midwest and runs a length of close to 600 miles. Lots of agriculture is grown there and where do you think the Tomatoes, Almonds, etc. and other foods you eat come from?

No arrogance. Just plain facts

Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
No arrogance. Just plain facts
Baseball sized hail

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Baseball sized hail
Yes that is correct

04-09-12 Woodward, Ok Hail Storm Baseball Size - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.