Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Accuracy of Southern Speech Map
Completely Accurate 5 6.49%
90%+ Accurate 33 42.86%
75%-90% Accurate 22 28.57%
Less than 75% Accurate 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
^I agree with this Bayareahillbilly

On vacation in Texas a few years ago, around Dallas and Austin particularly, I noticed that people spoke like they were from east Tennessee or western North Carolina.
On the map, it is clearly noted that in areas of Texas, far west of Dallas-Forth Worth, that the southern accent extends. It nearly extends to Fort Stockton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
On the map, it is clearly noted that in areas of Texas, far west of Dallas-Forth Worth, that the southern accent extends. It nearly extends to Fort Stockton.
Awesome. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Here is the map of Southern Speech that I constructed. It is based on my travels all across the south, as well as my trips to every state within the U.S.

I've seen a lot of maps before, and I've felt that they do not do justice to the realities of the south.
EXCELLENT map, CF!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
^I agree with this Bayareahillbilly

On vacation in Texas a few years ago, around Dallas and Austin particularly, I noticed that people spoke like they were from east Tennessee or western North Carolina.
Ditto in agreeing with both of y'all.

I can't remember for sure the name of the "book", but it was written by a guy named Terry Jordan...and seems like it was "Cultural Geography Of Texas"

Regardless, in the Texas "speech patterns" section, it was noted something along the lines of (paraphrased)..."Most native Texans would be right at home linguistically with people in east Tennessee..."

Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Exactly. Have you ever been to Dayton or Indianapolis? There is a definite southern accent in those cities. Many people from Indy say "Coke" for pop.
I have never heard anyone say "coke" for pop in Indianapolis.

Furthermore, I have also never heard some of those stupid southern phrases such as "y'all" and "fixin" and "reckon" etc.

Geez, two posters in one day talking up Indianapolis as having a southern dialect. Wow.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have never heard anyone say "coke" for pop in Indianapolis.

Furthermore, I have also never heard some of those stupid southern phrases such as "y'all" and "fixin" and "reckon" etc.

Geez, two posters in one day talking up Indianapolis as having a southern dialect. Wow.

Being only 20 minutes west of Toxic Toast:

I've never heard "coke" for pop either.

I always here you all not Y'ALL. Fixing not FIXIN" or Reckon. Mainly do you think?

Their maybe be to posters poorly talking trash about Indianapolis but their are two posters that are GREATLY defending Indianapolis!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Theres too much orange in TX.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Being only 20 minutes west of Toxic Toast:

I've never heard "coke" for pop either.

I always here you all not Y'ALL. Fixing not FIXIN" or Reckon. Mainly do you think?

Their maybe be to posters poorly talking trash about Indianapolis but their are two posters that are GREATLY defending Indianapolis!
Make that three posters, gdude.

In the three years I've lived there, I've NEVER heard anyone say "yall", "fixin", "Coke" for pop, or "reckon". I mean, come on.

People from Indy don't speak with traditionally Southern accents, and never did historically. In fact, linguists always place the city in the North Midland dialect region, which is the closest thing to "standard English".

So either there's a second Indianapolis in Mississippi, or these people have somehow come across someone with a Southern sounding accent (and who could be from the South for all they know), and somehow managed to extrapolate that to the whole city.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Make that three posters, gdude.

In the three years I've lived there, I've NEVER heard anyone say "yall", "fixin", "Coke" for pop, or "reckon". I mean, come on.

People from Indy don't speak with traditionally Southern accents, and never did historically. In fact, linguists always place the city in the North Midland dialect region, which is the closest thing to "standard English".

So either there's a second Indianapolis in Mississippi, or these people have somehow come across someone with a Southern sounding accent (and who could be from the South for all they know), and somehow managed to extrapolate that to the whole city.

Two is fine but three is a crowd..lol

I agree their must be a Indianapolis,Mississippi that I dont know about.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Great map man. Cant really talk about any other place than the place i live in, Which is the bright green parts of FL. You rarely even hear a mild southern accent in those areas. Its mainly a regular american accent like in CA or something. You will only hear southern accents in that colored area if you go out to a small town away from civilization, which only makes up a small precent of the population, the Tampa/ Orlando metros along with all the beach towns on the coast speak with a regular american accent that you'd see in CA or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.