Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Accuracy of Southern Speech Map
Completely Accurate 5 6.49%
90%+ Accurate 33 42.86%
75%-90% Accurate 22 28.57%
Less than 75% Accurate 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The "ya'll" phenomenon is catching on as well outside the labeled parts.
So is "you-guys"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
So is "you-guys"
No kidding.

"Y'all" is hardly being picked up outside of the South, outside of the black community.

"You Guys", unfortunately, is becoming about as common in the South as "y'all".

For some reason, some people on city data want to act like the dilution of the culture, accents, and sayings in other regions in any way compares to what has occurred in the South. Such is simply not true.

I can't stand when you go into a restaurant, and the cute little waitress comes out and puts on this "I'm going to be happy show", saying, "How can I help you Guys".

Old 06-20-2009, 08:49 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
It's still not very common to hear "you guys" in central Louisiana. Almost everyone says "ya'll."

Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I have the map at 90percent plus when it comes to being accurate. My accent doesn't jump out at people in the lower midwest and other transient places in the South but in the small town South and Northeast people notice it instantly. I was talking with my aunt's friend some days ago and she was like "Are you from outside the South?", (I'm paraphrasing what she asked). Basically, she was told me that I enunciate well when I speak (I'm soft spoken so I have to).

Old 06-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
No kidding.

"Y'all" is hardly being picked up outside of the South, outside of the black community.

For some reason, some people on city data want to act like the dilution of the culture, accents, and sayings in other regions in any way compares to what has occurred in the South. Such is simply not true.

I can't stand when you go into a restaurant, and the cute little waitress comes out and puts on this "I'm going to be happy show", saying, "How can I help you Guys".
Absolutely!

I used to waitress and a family from California came in and were here for one of their son's funeral. I use y'all, have NEVER said you guys but they asked me to repeat that over and over. I might have been upset had it not been for the fact they had just lost a family member.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Absolutely!

I used to waitress and a family from California came in and were here for one of their son's funeral. I use y'all, have NEVER said you guys but they asked me to repeat that over and over. I might have been upset had it not been for the fact they had just lost a family member.
Years ago, I worked as a waiter in a restaurant. I couldn't stand the way the managers would say such like, "Get down at the customer's level, squat, anything you have to do to make the customer comfortable".

To this day, whenever I see such, I think, there's phoneyness in action. It makes me highly uncomfortable as well. I've even seen these waitresses and waiters sit in the booth right beside the customer, and you can tell that it's making the customer uncomfortable, but yet they think it does the exact opposite.

I disliked the fact that the server industry is filled with about 60% trash who are either smokers, alcoholics or drug addicts, and yet they can change their face and demeanor at the drop of a hat. So many of them are so rude, talking about the customer behind their back. That kind of stuff got to me.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Years ago, I worked as a waiter in a restaurant. I couldn't stand the way the managers would say such like, "Get down at the customer's level, squat, anything you have to do to make the customer comfortable".

To this day, whenever I see such, I think, there's phoneyness in action. It makes me highly uncomfortable as well. I've even seen these waitresses and waiters sit in the booth right beside the customer, and you can tell that it's making the customer uncomfortable, but yet they think it does the exact opposite.

I disliked the fact that the server industry is filled with about 60% trash who are either smokers, alcoholics or drug addicts, and yet they can change their face and demeanor at the drop of a hat. So many of them are so rude, talking about the customer behind their back. That kind of stuff got to me.

That is absolutely true! But, it's the good ones who get repeat buisness.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
No kidding.

I think "you guys" is being picked up in certain places where a lot of Yankees have moved to while still being used interchangeably with "y'all," but maybe not the South as a whole (I hope not at least).

When traveling to big cities, I have noticed a few people outside of the black community saying "y'all." It almost makes me disappointed because it takes away from the unique Southerness of the word but I do understand it's handy as well.

I too cringe whenever I hear a host or waiter say "you guys." I cringe more so when it comes out of a Southerner's mouth. I think a lot of Southern people (in some areas) start hearing it so much they aren't aware that it's a Northern term. I just wish folks from up North would start saying "y'all" instead of the local people adapting to "you guys."

Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
No kidding.

you guys has really always been used in the south. We just don't use it as much as other regions.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
you guys has really always been used in the south. We just don't use it as much as other regions.
I agree. I think "ya'll" is definitely the predominant term for everyday speech....at least for folks born&raised in Oklahoma or Texas. However, even if "you guys" is used in conversation down here, it still sounds Southern. It's not like it is said with a Yankee accent just because the term "you guys" is used, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.