Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe no one can. I've been googling for two hours and have yet to come with an answer. My guess is that since they are "Illegal" there are no hard numbers.

Sorry. I think it's a great question but I just can't find an answer.
Fair enough. Thanks for being nice about it though. I didn't word my OP right. I don't necessarily hate THEM, but I hate the eup ffects of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You're right, especially with that last paragraph. It's the contractors and other businesses that want the cheap labor who are the real abusers here. They need to go to jail, or be deported themselves.
I'm not in favor of any business breaking the law, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find people who aren't afraid to work, and will turn up reliably every day. And I'm not talking for minimum wage, either. It's unfair to put the onus on businesses. Why won't the law enforcement people and INS do their jobs? Where are the folks who are supposed to follow up on people here for YEARS after their visas have expired? And I'll bet INS MAYBE took them over the border and let 'em go...and they were at work the next day. How about just enforcing the laws we have?
Huh? What was the questions?
All I know is...don't come to Alabama. Our city of 54,000 is supposed to have like 3,000 Hispanics...yeah? Then how come we have like 20 Latino grocery stores, 15 Mexican restaurants, Spanish language services at every church...not to mention the 8 or 9 thrift stores, and a Wal-Mart that's covered up with entire familias - con abuelitas - every day of the week?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
I would look to the colder climates where field work is not in such high demand and keep to small towns, where they would stand out more, stay away from large cities in large states, but realize if things do not get in control soon, it will be everywhere and uncontrollable, really makes one think too about why it is allowed to happen. I would also go to a colder climate as well. Good luck to you.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Just answer the guy's question: Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin have the fewest. Illinois has many immigrants, legal or illegal, because they come for Chicago and then filter around the state.

I don't know about Iowa or Nebraska. The plains states are losing born-here Americans, and who is attracted to the economic misery of the Upper Midwest?

I already think California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida are unliveable. Weather, sprawl, cost, water shortages ... yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.