Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times

Advertisements

If interested in Providence, Check out the East Side, College Hill, Waverly Square, Wickenden area, Federal Hill, Downtown...

Wonderful vibe the city has especially for walking. Shops, bars and restaurants, colleges, art gallerys. Waterfire.

Boston, Cape Cod and Newport are also very close.

definately check out Providence. its more affordable than boston, but still has its own New England charm.

Providence & Warwick Rhode Island Vacation, Hotel, Meetings, Convention and Travel Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
I've been to every city mentioned except for worcester. Since you are coming from San Francisco, I'll strongly take that into account. With that being said, I would automatically eliminate Portland, Burlington, Portsmouth, Worcester and the like. I think culturally those places would be to small for what your used to. I lived in Portland for like ten minutes and it was way to expensive, nothing going on and it has a relatively very small metro. Something like 220,000 in their whole metro. Burlington you would be bored with really quickly as well.

Since you are coming from San Francisco I would suggest if Boston is not what you are looking for, Providence is your best bet. I have been through Providence more than a few times and it was a really cool, artistic city. It really reminded me of Boston in a lot of ways, except for the cost of living. You really can't go wrong with Providence. You would be shocked at what a cool layout and scene that city has. Plus, it would not be total culture shock, since I belive it has over 1 million in their metro.

Good luck with your decision. I hope the answer eventually comes to you. Once again, I would warn against the smaller cities. There cute and warm and nice at first, but many of those smaller cities get boring fast and are just to expensive for what little they offer...

Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 AM

56 posts, read 147,181 times
Some more lively pedestrian areas in Providence to check out are Wickenden Street, the Thayer Street area, and Hope Street. During Waterfire in the city, throngs of people gather downtown, with live music, food vendors, etc.
WaterFire

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM

217 posts, read 961,343 times
I was just recently in Providence, very nice, check it out. Just know that coming from California after October it starts to cool down and there is a winter, though not terrible.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about Cambridge, New Haven, Springfield(Amherst is close by too), New Bedford or Manchester?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Can someone tell me what the summers are like in these New England areas? I've had enough of the southern summers. I enjoy fall/winter more than hot weather. I lived in Montana and enjoyed the fall/winters, but the summers were blazing hot there as well. I'm just not a warm weather person.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Can someone tell me what the summers are like in these New England areas? I've had enough of the southern summers. I enjoy fall/winter more than hot weather. I lived in Montana and enjoyed the fall/winters, but the summers were blazing hot there as well. I'm just not a warm weather person.
It really depends on the year, but summers here can be pretty hot. Heat waves usually happen two or three times a summer with 3 or more days of 90 degree plus weather. Other than that, temperatures hang anywhere from 70 to 90 in the summer months, and summer weather has been known to hang into September and even October in an Indian summer.

However, I am in southern New England. The summer in northern areas of New England would be more moderate.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I don't think summers are bad in New England compared to most parts of the country. Here in New Hampshire, average daytime highs are usually in the 70s and 80s during the summer, with nighttime lows in the 50s and 60s. Not many people around here own air conditioners, and to be honest there are maybe only 10-15 days out of the entire summer where I wish I had one.

Southern New England is warmer, but living in close proximity to the ocean does often provide a sea breeze and lower temps. Here are the average highs and lows for cities across NE:

Boston
June: Hi-77, Lo-59
July: Hi-82, Lo-65
August: Hi-80, Lo-64

Providence
June: Hi-77, Lo-58
July: Hi-83, Lo-64
August: Hi-81, Lo-63

Hartford
June: Hi-79, Lo-57
July: Hi-84, Lo-63
August: Hi-82, Lo-61

Burlington
June: Hi-77, Lo-55
July: Hi-81, Lo-60
August: Hi-78, Lo-58

Manchester
June: Hi-77, Lo-50
July: Hi-82, Lo-55
August: Hi-80, Lo-53

Portland
June: Hi-73, Lo-53
July: Hi-79, Lo-59
August: Hi-77, Lo-57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.