Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, etc. all have plenty of country folk transplants...no one is laughing at anyone. Anyone who would say something so ridiculous doesn't have a clue about living in the big city. Big cities are open to everyone/every type/every nationality/every accent/every color/etc. No one is "laughed out" because that's what big cities are all about - diversity.
You forgot to mention that the reason these country folk are not "laughed out" of these cities is because they've adapted to them so they wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs. If they went back to where they were from, they'd probably be considered "outsiders" and "yankees" now because of how much they've changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 02:44 AM

296 posts, read 644,781 times
U can be country at heart in a big city, but there is def a difference between city folk and country folk, like they can like the same foods, except the country folk will catch or kill it themselves and city folks will buy it from the store.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:45 AM

296 posts, read 644,781 times
I think having a country accent in some big cities will get u strange looks.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,134 times
Why is that?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
There is a house about two minutes from me that keeps cattle. Mind you there are only four or five, but still. There are people very close to here have chickens, horses, etc. I will never forget the time my daughter called me to tell me that a horse ate my roses in my front yard lol

Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I'm from Miami, so I don't even see how your opinion counts on this one! Trust me, there are not "tons" of country people there (they generally hate Miami anyway because they thinks its full of Mexicans who peeki panni) and are definately laughed at, especially if they wear a cowboy hat in any club or in public for that matter.

While Miami and Atlanta are geographically located in the "South," they are now considered cosmopolitain oasis and world class cities, that don't relate to the hillbilly or cowboy culture.

Besides, why would you want to move to a city where everyone hates country music and listens to dance, urban and latin music?
wait and Houston and Dallas isn't???

What planet are you living on??? Houston is the most diverse and international city in the south.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Sure. Anyone can be whoever they want, regardless of location.
Exactly! We are in the USA... And Everyone can do what they want as long as them or their parents pay taxes!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
You forgot to mention that the reason these country folk are not "laughed out" of these cities is because they've adapted to them so they wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs. If they went back to where they were from, they'd probably be considered "outsiders" and "yankees" now because of how much they've changed.
I never knew that living in a city required people to conform so they'll "fit in". Yeah, I guess the small minded and the not-so-intelligent might laugh at someone different from themselves, but mature people are usually more accepting of differences and welcome diversity.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd
There is a big difference between Northern and Southern cities. You'd probably do fine in Southern cities such as Dallas, Houston, Little Rock, Knoxville, Louisville, etc.

But you'd probably be laughed out of Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis and Seattle.

NY is so busy, nobody would notice you until you opened your mouth -- then they'd just run from you.

Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, etc. all have plenty of country folk transplants...no one is laughing at anyone. Anyone who would say something so ridiculous doesn't have a clue about living in the big city. Big cities are open to everyone/every type/every nationality/every accent/every color/etc. No one is "laughed out" because that's what big cities are all about - diversity. Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd

Boston, Miami, San Francisco, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, etc. all have plenty of country folk transplants...no one is laughing at anyone. Anyone who would say something so ridiculous doesn't have a clue about living in the big city. Big cities are open to everyone/every type/every nationality/every accent/every color/etc. No one is "laughed out" because that's what big cities are all about - diversity.
I kinda agree/disagree with both of you.

I agree with Daytonadewd in that there certainly is a bit more prejudice against country style folks in the cities he mentions. Certainly many people would consider someone wearing cowboy boots, a straw hat and dungaree stuff to be a redneck. And I think this is wrong. The same people who might scoff an old "redneck" from West Texas are often the same ones who preach tolerance for all the other diverse group but seem to have less for rural Americans.

OTOH, I think what DeaconJ is saying is also true although perhaps a bit more optimistic and idealist than realistic. I also believe there are plenty of people in any big city who respect people rural America just as well as they respect any other ethnic group that makes up a diverse culture. This group will find all cultures interesting and just consider rural Americans another unique flavor in the interesting mix. Personally I think NYC would be most tolerant of the whole group listed followed by CHI just because of how very diverse they are.

The other thing is rural american culture is a unique culture unto itself and should be fairly represented in any big city. Country folks should bring their vittles, steak, barbeque and grits to Times Sq to represent on the world stage. Their style is as good and worthy as any other, and they should not be too bashful to represent right next to the Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, french etc etc. I have no doubt the most nationalistic french chef would still delight in a fine West Texas barbeque given the opportunity.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
I can't imagine that the majority in a larger city would even notice. That's one advantage to living in a large city...you get exposed to many cultures and difference, so you're used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.