Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its different from where you are I guess. I actually read a book on California gardens once, so I understand what you are saying.

Anyway in the East, the front lawn and garden is usually open for view. The front lawns on a suburban block almost become like a Commons. I can tell you that at least on densely populated Long Island --- it would be a horror if every house had a wall in front of it instead of grass or trees.

I think it depends what part of the country you are from. I am glad it is not all the same.
Front yard fences aren't all that common in Atlanta either...I live in a 1930s in-town neighborhood, and mine is the only house with a fence around the front yard (brick and iron). This isn't totally unheard of, but not a common thing in most Atlanta neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
On our recent vacation out west we went to the Great Salt Lake. I was expecting it to be beautiful and blue, instead it was rather gray and quite smelly. What a surprise!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I did not know this, it just seems your yard is open to tresspassers or thieves.
That's what shotguns are for.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
What are people keeping in their front yards that they need a fence? Is somebody going to steal the grass? I never seen front yard fences until I was out west.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Most houses outside the Southwest don't have fenced front yards.
I don't know many homes inside the Southwest (at least AZ) that have fenced front yards. Typical front yard:

Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
What are people keeping in their front yards that they need a fence? Is somebody going to steal the grass? I never seen front yard fences until I was out west.
Well, I can't speak for everyone...but my fence keeps my dogs in when I let them outside - and I don't have to bother with a leash every time one of them needs to pee.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:38 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, I can't speak for everyone...but my fence keeps my dogs in when I let them outside - and I don't have to bother with a leash every time one of them needs to pee.
yea but in the front yard? most people I know fence in the back yards to let their dogs run around.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In Albuquerque, New Mexico most houses do not have fenced yards but there are more fences than you see in other places. However, there is a local architectural style that does incorporate high walls in the traditional style.

In the part of (barely) suburban New York that I grew up in, many people have low walls or picket fences. These do not seem to deter neighborliness.

In areas outside of a certain buffer around the city I was always amazed at clusters of housing surrounded by lawns with no demarcation whatsoever. You couldn't tell where one property began and the other ended. I would hate that. How can you tell the neighbor kids to "Get the h*ll off my lawn!" if you don't know whose lawn it is? :-)

ABQConvict

Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
When I said I was surprised about not having fences, I was talking about houses(more rural style) that had large front yards with no fence, most cookie cutter homes dont have fences and that goes for Albuquerque as well.

Here is a street I went down in GA where I first noticed it-
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...100.56,,0,3.48

Last edited by desert sun; 10-07-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post

it could be anything, from tools to pets, some people steal little trees or in CA palm trees.

anyways maybe its just for look, I like the look of the fences out in the country in Texas or like the ones I see keeping the horses in in Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.