Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM

10,263 posts, read 12,460,070 times

Advertisements

I only know Florida...

I would say the poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The first time I travelled far from home, I was 15, and I went to Charlotte. At the time, I was most surprised that bare earth was red. I even brought home a sandwich bag full of red clay as a souvenir.
LOL....thats 'cute'

Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON350 View Post
I went to DC and I was shocked at all Black people who looked like they had good jobs and education. Even more than me. I had to wonder if it is cause of Obama and Affirmative Action.
Here in Rochester on a few of the Blacks are really educated and most work in factories or get welfare so I want used to seeing so many that looked like they were well to do.
It's not because of Obama. I used to spend a lot of time in Maryland, just outside DC, visiting a friend and hanging out in "the District". That was back in the 80's, and there were many well-educted Black people living in her neighborhood in nice houses and in the business areas on the streets.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON350 View Post
I went to DC and I was shocked at all Black people who looked like they had good jobs and education. Even more than me. I had to wonder if it is cause of Obama and Affirmative Action.
Here in Rochester on a few of the Blacks are really educated and most work in factories or get welfare so I want used to seeing so many that looked like they were well to do.
DC is majority African American so it follows that black professionals are more visible than in other areas. It has very little to do with affirmative action or the Obama administration...its been that way for years...

The same is the case here in Richmond. You see a lot more black professionals than in other areas simply as a function of the demographics. It is likely similar to other cities with larger black populations.

The city I grew up in, on the other hand, was only about 25% black and this was reflected in the makeup of the professionals you would see downtown...

Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,562,951 times
This was awhile ago, but I can tell you that I just don't get what people mean by saying that LA is full of horrible, snobby people and such like that. What?! The people are seriously not like that. It was like being in just a big city, some people were nice, others average I suppose. But I felt that the people of LA were all right and I have been to much snobbier cities.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
That would be agoraphobia.
Hmm, I thought there was another name for it but I cannot find one when I google.

I know Agoraphobia literally means "fear of the marketplace" and the great-aunt I had with agoraphobia literally would not leave the house.

I'm talking about living in New Jersey where there are either buildings or woods and mountains and then finding myself on a road with endless nothing but flat land on either side--it's a feeling that there's no place to hide if necessary, lol.

The idea of living in the interior of the continent would creep me out also because I would be uneasy living so far from the ocean. Maybe that one is my ancient Dutch ancestors whispering in my ear.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM

927 posts, read 2,217,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ Panama City...FL?
Yes

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM

927 posts, read 2,217,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
In NYC I was shocked to see how well kids my son's age could navigate the city's subways- ALONE.
It scared & impressed me all at the same time. My 11 year old son can't even find his socks in the morning
That's definitely an interesting one. I think it's pretty cool how kids can learn to be mature and have responsibility at that young age in NYC. You see them with their little brothers and cities doing grocery runs and going to the deli and whatnot. And it doesn't seem to be a huge saftey issue oddly enough.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,254,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
The first time I visited NYC I expected people to be rude since that seems to be the reputation. They were NOT! Quite friendly and helpful. I recall being pleasantly surprised.
Me too. I was expecting rude attitudes and to be pushed around and bumped into, but I really didn't experience any of that. I was shocked that when I got on the subway there were only like 5 people in the whole car, I thought it would be packed like sardines. I was also surprised to see how small the Statue of Liberty is, it always looks big on TV.

Another surprising thing to see was in Little Italy, the way the restaurant owners/workers would stand on the sidewalk and try to get you to come in their restaurant. Some of them looked like mobsters, LOL.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM

869 posts, read 1,559,289 times
Indiana: Was there a couple of years ago passing through. Maybe I chose the wrong day to drive through, but it seemed like the people I encountered where just crude and not helpful at stores and the hotel. From southern to northern Indiana, it seemed like that. I was expecting friendlier people. When the crossed the Ohio River into Kentucky, it was like a different world.

Alabama: Overall I was impressed with this state. While the drive was a little boring, the scenery was beautiful and soothing. Unlike Indiana, the gas station clerks were nice and the hotel employees acted like they wanted to be there. However the drivers were a bit aggressive in some parts. 80-90 mph seemed to be the norm on the interstate.

Louisiana: Nice people, but sorry, it's an ugly state. Ugly towns, trashy streets, slow customer service everywhere. But like I said before, the people were nice so that kind of makes up for it.

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont: When people think of the Northeast, usually the big urban cities come to mind. ME, NH, and VT are some the most rural states in the nation. While that doesn't shock me, it may shock some who think the northeast is a fast paced concrete jungle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.