Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 20,343 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the suburbs of Pittsburgh all my life. I am now enrolled in a college in Pittsburgh. It's not going to be for awhile, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations where to relocated to. I just want to get out of here for at least a few years. I am honestly open to anywhere in the U.S. excpet the Northeast, the extreme west coast (because the cost of living is so high!), and BIG cities; for example, NYC, Chicago, etc. I'd say Houston would be the cap off for me (meaning in pop. size.)

Thank you oh. P.S. I am studying civil engineering if anyone has any inputs on relocation with that.

Last edited by aman20; 06-30-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:44 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
What about Michigan? It's a beautiful, friendly state with a low cost of living. Do you prefer big cities or small towns?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM

I've been to Michigan, and yes it is very beautiful! I've always thought I was a small town person, but then when I actually moved into Pittsburgh for college, I really like it. Perhaps when I get older I'll want to live in a suburb of a big city. but anyways. Where ever I go, a bigger city has to definitely be close by. So I guess I'm more so looking for direction to a big city then from there nice communites surrounding it.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
OK. You could try towns like Three Rivers, Allegan, Holland, Decatur, Wayland, or South Haven. All of these towns are within 30 minutes of Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids, which are fairly big cities. Charlotte, Owosso, and Sunfield are near Lansing. You'll want to stay away from Flint and Detroit.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM

83 posts, read 280,085 times
I'm actually thinking of moving to Pittsburgh myself - I'm in Erie right now.

Are you going to be finished with school when you move? If not, I would think about having to pay non-resident tuition rates in other states.

Have you thought about the Carolinas? I would think civil engineering would be in demand and a good place to study it in areas like Raleigh, Durham, Columbia, etc. where a lot of development is taking place..

Or maybe the southwest - Phoenix, Albuquerque, Las Vegas.

BTW - why do you want to get out of Pittsburgh so bad if you are going to college there? Just wonder.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you kazoopilot. In addition, which of the mentioned are, hmm.. say, a younger population. I don't ask this to reference partying or bar hopping, etc. I just mean it towards, just making it easier for me to meet people my age perhaps. I would be around 22-23 when I would be moving.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM

NewHorizonz: Don't get me wrong. I LOVE PITTSBURGH, and it will always be my home. However, I've lived here all my life, my parents grew up here, where their parents, and then their parents have too. Well I should just say that boths sides of my family have been in western PA for 200+ years, and I just want to get out for awhile. i'm not saying I'll never come back, because to be quite frank, I have no idea. My guess would probably be eventually yes I would. I would honestly recommend Pittsburgh to others. I just have never lived anywhere else, and want to try it out for a change. I never want to wonder "what if?"

anyways... sorry. haha.

Do you know anything about the Raleigh, Durham area? In the sense of cost of living, culture, etc. I heard it's a nice area though. And I guess I didn't really even give a thought to look at places that are booming, if you will. I kind of looked at it as a, i don't know, I can't say bad thing. I don't know what i thought, but in the lines of my job, I guess it would be a great thing. I should definitely look into it. (the sunbelt region, i mean)

Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
I wouldn't say Michigan is a great place for a college grad. With 12% unemployment your options look grim.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM

wouldn't most of that be, because of the auto industry? I would be civil engineering, not mechanical. But I honestly would have NO idea how other industries have been affected by the down fall of the "big 3" so sad...

Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman20 View Post
wouldn't most of that be, because of the auto industry? I would be civil engineering, not mechanical. But I honestly would have NO idea how other industries have been affected by the down fall of the "big 3" so sad...
All sectors have been affected. Kind of the "domino effect".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.