Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 21,760 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, along with our four children (10, 8, 5, 2) are contemplating a move to the great Southeast. We currently live neat St. Louis, MO. It is not a bad area, but we also just want to something different in our lives. We are both from this area and we only get one go around at life.

With that being said, we have not been to either North or South Carolina, but we have done a lot of research on the area. We have driven through Georgia and it seems like the kind of place we would like to settle. I am a high school principal and my wife stays at home, but is a school psychologist by trade.

I have some questions for the great people of this site.

What are the schools like in those states? I am not real big on ratings because they are so subjective, but what are ACT scores and SAT scores for schools.

It is really humid all of the time in those states or just summer. We can stand some humidity, but not all year round.

We do not want to live in a real big city, but would like to be forty miles or less from a major city.

I really am looking for some justification to this move. I know it would satisfy a dream of ours, but we have lots of things to take into consideration. Although, in a perfect world (I found a job, my wife found a job, etc) the move would be much easier.

Thank you for your advice and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 AM

61 posts, read 79,251 times
I like SC. It's kinda overlooked, not too developed yet. Great palm-lined beaches. The Greenville area's unemployment rate is at the national average. It's a short drive to Atlanta and Charlotte. The mts are nearby and the beach is a morning's drive away. Summers in the South are always hot but unlike the North, everything is air conditioned. It's a growing area so there is probably work to be found in the schools.

Last edited by greyfox2000; 07-04-2009 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 09:33 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
As far as schools are concerned, the schools in the major metro areas of the state tend to be the better ones, so since you're looking for proximity to larger cities, you should be OK as far as schools are concerned. Some places I'd recommend are Rock Hill, SC/Fort Mill, SC, just a few minutes south of Charlotte (Fort Mill has some of the best schools in SC; even some parents from Charlotte have jumped the border for the schools); Lexington, SC, just a few miles west of Columbia; Greer, SC, which sits between Greenville and Spartanburg; and Summerville, SC, a few minutes north of Charleston. The Raleigh area has some good schools from what I've heard, but I can't really recommend any specific towns in that area as I'm not too familiar with it. As for Georgia, I'm really only familiar with the Atlanta area, but not the schools.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
Summers in the South are always hot but unlike the North, everything is air conditioned.

Ummm, we aren't stuck in 1950 here in the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.