Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

First you have to remember that the majority of all blacks in the US are originally from the south. Even if they do not want to admit or believe it. But, there are definitely considerable cultural differences between northern and southern blacks just like northern and southern whites. IMO, blacks in the north and in Cali are more open minded, liberal and progressive. They are also more cosmopolitan and culturally mature because of their environment. Southern blacks are a reflection of the south. Most of the south is very rural, laid back, easy going and friendly. These are generalizations based on one person's opinion, so I didn't mean to offend anyone. One thing that both groups share is food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
First you have to remember that the majority of all blacks in the US are originally from the south. Even if they do not want to admit or believe it. But, there are definitely considerable cultural differences between northern and southern blacks just like northern and southern whites. IMO, blacks in the north and in Cali are more open minded, liberal and progressive. They are also more cosmopolitan and culturally mature because of their environment. Southern blacks are a reflection of the south. Most of the south is very rural, laid back, easy going and friendly. These are generalizations based on one person's opinion, so I didn't mean to offend anyone. One thing that both groups share is food.
Well, you're actually correct, but generally whenever this type of topic is brought up in the Atlanta forum (where I typically hang out), it gets very heated.

I've lived in Atlanta for around 23 years (I'm white, by the way) but to keep this short, I'll just say that some of the most racist comments about blacks who are from here that I've ever heard have come from other blacks who come here from other parts of the country, or, those who move/visit here from other countries (such as the UK).

Around the U.S., it's not rare to find that many whites look at southern whites as "slower, less educated, more zealous in their views on religion", etc. Heck, people in Alabama have whole joke books written about them. Well this is just an outside observation, but it appears to me that in a slightly less outwardly verbal way, the same goes for blacks in America. Northern and West Coast blacks seem to have a similar opinion of southern blacks, though it's not something you hear as openly joked about like you do on the white side when they make comments about white southerners.

While whites from other parts of the U.S. will use terms like "redneck" and "trailer trash" when making mean jokes about southern whites, you will hear "ghetto" a lot from blacks when they refer to southern blacks. I've heard this A LOT via my jobs when working with blacks who are from other regions when they talk about blacks (or whites) in the south. But then, you can keep expanding this and find racist comments from all over... for example, I have worked three times in the past with blacks who were born and raised in the U.K. All of them pretty much used words like "violent, uneducated, noncaring" to describe black Americans as a whole - they didn't bother to break it down into regions... they just clump everyone in the U.S. that way who's black, etc. So I don't know.. generalizations can be found everywhere, and if you expand out far enough, seem to include not only people from certain regions, but from whole countries if seen by outside eyes.

I hear a lot of southern blacks say that Atlanta is the "mecca" for black people, and when they move here they love it - if they come from places like Charlotte, Raleigh, Birmingham, etc... but when I've met and talked to blacks who move here from California, Washington (state), Colorado - they almost always have a negative impression of Atlanta and a "THIS is what they hype about??" attitude about the city.

So yes, as politically incorrect as some feel it is, I do feel you are right in your observations, but you're apparently not the only one making them.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-25-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Atlanta is extremely overrated and I hate how everyone assumes it's the best place to live for African Americans! Why?!?! Because that's where all the black celebrities are? It has a big black population?!

I get sick and tired of magazines trying to tell us blacks what's the best place for us.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Seriously, DC is way better for blacks than Atlanta. That's some homerism but it's true.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 PM

36 posts, read 112,166 times
Any city there that is easy on a young independent debt prone college graduate who want to start a family with a high attention on early childhood education with commute time to at least 1/2 hour from a posh job?

Hey I am glad it's a new year, maybe this one will be answered with BE 2008.

I think they also forgot to include gentrification.

Things are not like yesteryear.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta is extremely overrated and I hate how everyone assumes it's the best place to live for African Americans! Why?!?! Because that's where all the black celebrities are? It has a big black population?!

I get sick and tired of magazines trying to tell us blacks what's the best place for us.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Chicago is ideal. Large African American population. Cook County (the county that includes Chicago) has more African American owned businesses than any other area in the entire country. Between 1992 and 2002, the number of black owned businesses i Chicago increased by 69%, to nearly 55,000. There is a strong African American community here. Some very vibrant communities such as Hyde Park, Bronzeville, Kenwood (where Barack Obama lives), Beverly, South Loop, that are heavily African American.
Unfortunately Chicago is actually pretty darn segregated

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Im kinda surprised Indianapolis (#8) is ahead of my city, Columbus (#9). Indianapolis seems like more of a country town than Columbus, kinda opposite of African-American interests.

And about the Houston/DC diversity argument, my own opinion is that DC is way more diverse just because of the importance of DC not only on America, but also the world. If you look at surrounding suburbs DC looks to be much more diverse than Houston

Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 PM

I also forgot to say that according to BET (black entertainment television), Columbus was ranked the #1 city in America for African-Americans. http://www.nashvilleareainfo.com/Docs/Best%20Cities%20for%20Black%20Families.pdf (broken link)

BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=304 - broken link)

List according to BET -

1. Columbus, Ohio
2. Houston
3. Boston
4. Charlotte
5. Indianapolis
6. Los Angeles
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Oakland
9. Philadelphia
10. Nashville/Jacksonville, Fla.
11. Dallas
12. Detroit
13. New Orleans
14. Memphis
15. Cleveland
16. New York
17. Atlanta
18. Chicago/Milwaukee
19. Baltimore
20. St. Louis, Mo.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
I don't think there are any "best cities." Where can a black person simply exist as a "person"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.