Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Washington DC is not as diverse as Houston? Are you kidding me? I'll give you Boston and maybe San Francisco. But Washington DC is just as diverse as the next city. The largest indian-asia population in America. Thousands of Ethiopians, Arabians, Iranians, and Lebanese. Largest Ghanian population in the United States. Largest Sierra Leon population in the United States. IN fact, one of the largest West African populations in the nation. It has the 3rd largest Salvadorian population in America. It also has a large Brazillian population. It is just a melting pot as Houston.
In addition to those above.

Also has the largest Vietnamese population on the east coast. 3rd largest Korean population after L.A. and N.Y. Large Cambodian, Thai, Filipino, Laotian populations also with many Chinese, Japanese, Burmese.

Much of the Latin American population in D.C. metro are not just Mexican. They come from Ecuador, Peru, Columbia, Brazil, Chile, Guatemala, Argentina, Bolivia, Honduras the rest of the Central / South American states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 PM

143 posts, read 872,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
He didn't say New York didn't have a large population of mexicans.He siad not all north cities are like NY,he siad most of them are black and white cities.He never did say that NYC didn't have a presence of Hispanics.
thank you...

Old 07-30-2007, 11:02 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I'm telling you that it is. DC is just as diverse as Houston.
Well Spade, where's your proof? What does D.C.'s consular corps look like?

Quote:
My reading is fine. Let's not throw around insults. The moment that continues is the moment I will kill the conversation right then and there.
That was no insult. I just believe in being frank. It's not my fault you weren't comprehending what I was saying. And killing the conversation will suit my just fine. I don't enjoy arguing with you.

Quote:
You are following a standard. Your standard is being very biased towards Houston ignoring the other credibilities out there given out by people that will tell you about the different tiers of cities in the United States. I'm not speaking for most people. I'm speaking in general that you will find it hard pressed to find anyone to agree with you that Houston is America's fourth city or Houston is on the level of the top three alpha based cities. You just simply will.
The only bias I've had towards Houston is finally realizing how great a city it is for myself. Need I remind everyone that this is not my city. I'm not from here. So trust. No one is more aware of Houston's cons than I am. But unlike most people, I also acknowledge all its pros. And I never speak on anything unless I feel strong about.

Quote:
Also, I'm always open to different way of looking at things.
I don't know you, but judging from our past conversations, I would disagree.

Quote:
I'm not a very biased individual. I know that every cities have cons and I know that every city has pros. But I'm not going to say that Houston is on the level of Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles when it's simply not there yet.
Fine. That's your opinion, and I have no beef with that. I just don't agree.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well Spade, where's your proof? What does D.C.'s consular corps look like?
Why would you have consulates when you have Embassies?

This is what D.C.'s consular corps (Embassies) looks like:

embassy.org: the Electronic Embassy

Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Why would you have consulates when you have Embassies?

This is what D.C.'s consular corps (Embassies) looks like:

embassy.org: the Electronic Embassy
I knew someone was going to point that out. Still, consulates give a better representation of what people are there in that city. You can have all the embassies if you want, but that doesn't mean those people have a presence there.

What nobody can take away is the fact that diversity in population and culture is the natural vibe of Houston that has little to nothing to do with government. Should D.C. no longer become the nation's capital, guess what's going to happen to all of those embassies. Houston will always and forever be a king of melting pots. Washington is like a big military base.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I knew someone was going to point that out. Still, consulates give a better representation of what people are there in that city. You can have all the embassies if you want, but that doesn't mean those people have a presence there.

What nobody can take away is the fact that diversity in population and culture is the natural vibe of Houston that has little to nothing to do with government. Should D.C. no longer become the nation's capital, guess what's going to happen to all of those embassies. Houston will always and forever be a king of melting pots. Washington is like a big military base.
You aren't making sense.
YOU were the one asking what the consulates were like in D.C.

YOU were the one forgetting about diplomatic structure.

Yes, the Embassies are there because it's the capital. That's why a lot of people live there. It's the capital of the strongest country in the world.

So you are saying that Embassies don't count? You asked what the consulates were in D.C. I pointed out why they don't need such things as consulates as Embassies are part of the larger structure.

Why backtrack now?

Do you truly believe that people from each country with an Embassy in D.C. do not live in D.C.?

Are you crazy? On my floor at my work, I work in a cubicle next to an Iraqi, Brazilian, Ghanan, Korean, African-American, Italian, El Salvadoran, and Taiwanese just on my side. And I work in the private sector.

D.C. is a big army base? Yes it has a large military presence, but statements like this seem very uninformed.

Last edited by tenken627; 07-30-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
How does these people know that these are the best cities for African Americans.Some African Americans probably prefer to live other places.This list really doesn't make sense to me,kind of because its pointless.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

That was no insult. I just believe in being frank. It's not my fault you weren't comprehending what I was saying. And killing the conversation will suit my just fine. I don't enjoy arguing with you.
I look at it as a conversation or a debate. Not an argument. If you look at it that way, oh well. Not my intention to argue if we provide statistics and facts. It's basically a discussion.

Quote:
I don't know you, but judging from our past conversations, I would disagree.
That's fine. But I know myself a little bit better. And I AM open to other ideas and opinions and if I disagree with one, I will respond to it.

.[/quote]

Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Houston will always and forever be a king of melting pots. Washington is like a big military base.
I don't believe you know much about DC at all. Take a trip to Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax County, Arlington, etc. etc. and tell me all you see is people that is of a military base. There is a huge military presence here, true. There is also a huge government presence here. There is also a strong connection to every country in the world becuase it IS the capital of the United States. I work with several Africans ranging from the nation of Ghana to the nation of Senegal. I don't think they have anything to do with military base and I don't think they cared before they came over to the US. But I do know they knew what was the capital of the United States and how big it was and the opportunities it has. If you look at lists that have all the immigrants moving to DC, it is 2nd behind New York on the east coast. This area is a melting pot.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Are you crazy? On my floor at my work, I work in a cubicle next to an Iraqi, Brazilian, Ghanan, Korean, African-American, Italian, El Salvadoran, and Taiwanese just on my side. And I work in the private sector.
You just described Houston.

And no one's backtracking. I'm just proving my point. You're the one dodging them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.