Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

I know that's a fairly cryptic title. By "gold coast" I refer not to a literal coastal area with high rises but rather to the Claritas market segment "Urban Gold Coasts." It could also be segments like "Money and Brains," "Young Digerati," Uptown Bohemian," etc.

By baggage I refer to political leftism, high taxation, anti American attitudes, etc.

Essentially, what I want is a place that has the feel, cosmopolitanism, etc of where I'm at now (San Francisco Metro) but without all the loopy "extras" that seem to come along with it.

It this an oxymoron? Is there something in people who are in banking, high tech, international biz, media, entertainment / infotainment, Web 2.0, etc which makes them radical Fabians, innately?

Do I have to take a downgrade in terms of the things I like (varied restos, good clubs with late hours, art house films, etc), to be with normal Americans?

I know this is sort of open ended.

Just looking for some thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
I know what you're saying, but I think any urban area that has the cosmopolitan amenities that you enjoy will also innately attract the element that is annoying to you. In your case you happen to be in the most extreme case of this in the country. Maybe if you moved to a city where left wing politics are not pushed in your face as much as in the bay area you could better deal with it? I don't think you could ever completely separate the two when considering the cities that have the best cultural amenities, at least not in this day and age.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
I'd try Chicago. It's not going to be conservative, but what respectable city really is? At least Chicagoans are accepting, relatively laid back, and won't shove it in your face like those in San Fran will.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Fairfield County, CT (between Greenwich and Fairfield). No "in your face" politics, very wealthy area, and fairly conservative (more fiscal than social, however). Live and let live.

Only downside is bars/clubs close at 2, but NYC is less than an hour away where they close at 4. A second downside is cost of housing, but coming from the Bay area, it shouldn't shock you.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Wow, NYC exurbs got mentioned less than 5 posts into it. Interestingly, times I've been to NYC itself, it felt more "American" to me than here in the Bay Area. I'm not just referring to the remnant of colonial history, I'm also describing something about the people and the vibe. This is cool ... would love to get more thoughts.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Where have you been in the exurbs? There's Great neck (where the Great gatsby took place), Muttontown, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay cove. All on the north shore of Nassau county, only about 10-15 miles from the city border.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Wow, NYC exurbs got mentioned less than 5 posts into it. Interestingly, times I've been to NYC itself, it felt more "American" to me than here in the Bay Area.
Hell, most of Canada feels more American than here.

People in SF, Oakland and Berkeley remind me so much of Parisians.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Where have you been in the exurbs? There's Great neck (where the Great gatsby took place), Muttontown, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay cove. All on the north shore of Nassau county, only about 10-15 miles from the city border.
I've been a bit into Nassau, but most of my experience in the NYC metro outside the City has been in Westchester and over in Jersey.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hell, most of Canada feels more American than here.

People in SF, Oakland and Berkeley remind me so much of Parisians.
They remind me of a high strung version of Parisians. A bit mal eleve compared with the real McCoy. One thing in common with Paris is, most people here are not really from here. Same deal in Paris.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I've been a bit into Nassau, but most of my experience in the NYC metro outside the City has been in Westchester and over in Jersey.

Check out north shore Nassau county, minus Glen Cove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.