Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM

380 posts, read 691,557 times

Advertisements

If my testimony helps anyone in any manner, my living is not in vain! I've had successes in corporate America, so I don't want to mislead anyone. It's the "culture" that's disturbing at times. Most people are not as candid in discussing such issues, since many of them have fallen victim to such behaviors. That's not something to be proud of, so they shy away from it. I mentor young people to achieve by merit, while still maintaining their pride, dignity and integrity. The reality is everyone is not going to start his/her own business, so he/she has to understand and know how to function and cope in these environments. It's a hard but necessary lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 AM

418 posts, read 487,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
Many of us are conditioned to achieve the American Dream: Education, comfortable living, nice home & car and a nuclear family. We educate ourselves, matriculate from the finest institutions, network, get that "dream job" and acquire material things. We've jumped through the brass ring, so we should be satisfied, right? Haven't we "made it"?...After all is said and done, many people find that they are miserable and unfulfilled; not ungrateful, but unsatisfied. The area where many of us are most unhappy is the workplace. The "glass ceiling" and "white privilege" realities are not something we learn about in college. I'm still amazed at the injustices and biases that exist on the development and promotion track in corporate America for African Americans. Despite our credentials, achievements and performance, we're often evaluated and regarded "differently". It's as if we're subjected to a different set of rules/employee conduct. Our wages are lower and scrutiny higher. If a new hire is African American, he/she is automatically assigned to us for mentorship, despite differences in career paths and interests, as if it's impossible for a white person to develop an Af. Am. We're not typically invited "on the boat", to the homes of or to go on vacation w/ our superiors to get that "extra edge". We're not generally selected to be "groomed" to advance in the corporation as readily as whites. Further, although our "counterparts" are free to socialize and converse w/ each other as well as w/us, we're afraid to speak to each other or make eye contact, let alone have a lengthy conversation, for fear of retribution or being accused of alienating ourselves from others, or being too exclusive. Sometimes, it seems the only way to find true success as an Af. Am. is to "sell out", compromise our ethics, or sacrifice our dignity. I have too much faith in God, self respect and confidence in my skills and abilities to do any of those things. Meritorious and ethical advancement is the only option for me. What do you think? Do share.
Corporate America is overrated. Between paying off politicians (look no further than the banks and the FED) and raping the earth that gave them life, I can't see any good that has come out of it. Vanity, materialism and mindless consumption don't impress me.

Corporate America is like god, full of false promises and exaggerated claims perpetuated by people who play with young boys.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
Corporate America is overrated. Between paying off politicians (look no further than the banks and the FED) and raping the earth that gave them life, I can't see any good that has come out of it. Vanity, materialism and mindless consumption don't impress me.

Corporate America is like god, full of false promises and exaggerated claims perpetuated by people who play with young boys.
Corporate America is nothing like God, so don't compare it to God.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
I think entrepreuneurship is the way to go...there is certainly a huge market there.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 AM

What is needed in these times is a new type of entrepreneur, a type of entrepreneur who actually does consider the people-factor and who does care. I have considered starting a business and I think about being that type of entrepreneur.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM

418 posts, read 487,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Corporate America is nothing like God, so don't compare it to God.
Not trying to go too off topic, but real quick, which god are you referring to? There has got to be millions to choose from.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
Not trying to go too off topic, but real quick, which god are you referring to? There has got to be millions to choose from.
I don't think you would understand. You and I must have different beliefs. Besides, why we even discussing this here?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
If my testimony helps anyone in any manner, my living is not in vain! I've had successes in corporate America, so I don't want to mislead anyone. It's the "culture" that's disturbing at times. Most people are not as candid in discussing such issues, since many of them have fallen victim to such behaviors. That's not something to be proud of, so they shy away from it. I mentor young people to achieve by merit, while still maintaining their pride, dignity and integrity. The reality is everyone is not going to start his/her own business, so he/she has to understand and know how to function and cope in these environments. It's a hard but necessary lesson.
True, but you still have to stay strong and fight for what's right. I think there isn't anything wrong with standing up for yourself. I think that seems to be missing a lot of times nowadays, because people carry a spirit of fear, a lot of times.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
you have probably surpassed anything i have accomplished already. yet still angry.
how many angry AA have passed me up on the ladder long ago, bitterly complaining the entire journey --
that they did not get much more reward. i have seen the rules of employment broken many times with no affect whatsoever---
things that would have resulted in instant termination for me.
america is a country where everybody wants a larger slice of pie and it keeps getting smaller.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM

98 posts, read 284,959 times
Since I was invited to share my opinions about this subject, as requested by the OP, I will do so accordingly.

I believe, that the first thing the African American person should do is lose the victim mentality. Get over the idea that the world and the Man is out to get you. Assume personal responsibility, absolve from issuing blame and take life like a man! We all have problems out here no matter what we look like. Taking life like a man and striving for greatness is an option we are all capable of, but only a few CHOOSE to do.

You already sound like a solid dude, but if you take it to the next level, nothing will stop you. You are the captian of your own destiny. Make the universe bend under your will. Change the world dude. Other black people did, surely you can too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.