Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North or South Carolina?
North Carolina 18 50.00%
South Carolina 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 PM

105 posts, read 391,337 times

Advertisements

Was wondering - what is your favorite Carolina...North Carolina or South Carolina? Why?

I've got to go with NC. I guess because I like big, urban cities like Raleigh and Charlotte that SC just doesn't really have to offer. Before we left Miami FL we looked at both states closely and visited each, and NC just clicked with us. Since my wife and I both have Northern accents, we felt more comfortable in the Raleigh area as there as a large blend of people from all over the country with different accents, which we didn't really find in the two SC cities we visited (Columbia and Charleston), although the people were very nice and welcoming. NC is really growing, mostly in Charlotte and Raleigh, and we wanted someplace really on the ball. Jobs were a LOT easier to find in Raleigh than we could find in SC, too, so that was a factor also, along with school quality and college choices.

I guess whatever floats people's boats -- both are great states with pros and cons...no state's perfect. Just depends on what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
South Carolina. Reason. It's not North Carolina.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,100 times
I didn't vote for either because I couldn't choose both. I like them both for different reasons.

NC - the Outerbanks for relaxation.

SC - Myrtle Beach for golf.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
I chose SC. While NC may have larger cities, the cities that SC has have more of an "urban form" IMO. My experience with NC cities is that there doesn't seem to be a real sense of place anywhere. Find a streetscape like Charleston's King Street somewhere in NC and I might take that back. I love large cities, but I'd rather live in a place like Charleston than a place like Charlotte. I've been to few cities in SC other than Charleston so maybe I'm not being as objective as I should.

NC has some nice things going for it such as the Outer Banks (although sprawling tourist development is destroying the area IMO), and its economy seems to be far stronger than SC's, but I think SC would rank higher on my vacation itenerary than NC, although I wouldn't want to be caught dead in Myrtle Beach! haha.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
I'm from South Carolina, and I currently live in North Carolina. I voted SC. Both states have their good and bad points, and they are actually very similar - particularly in the rural areas. North Carolina, as a state, has far more money. No question about that. You also have to remember that NC and SC definitely have a "big brother" and "little brother" thing going on. There's a lot of strange animosity between the two states. Historically SC was always the 'old money', and NC was always the poor dirt farmers. Look today, and it's the complete opposite.

But North Carolina is just too transient for me. The cities - Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, even where I live in Wilmington just have so many people from other states. All the things that I love about the south don't seem to exist in these cities. That's probably fine for most people, but I don't care for it. I'd much rather live in Greenville, Columbia or Charleston than any city in North Carolina, no question about it.

As for other reasons I prefer South Carolina, you can include: SEC football, barbeque, the citadel, hash and rice, shrimp and grits, the beaches, golf, Charleston, seersucker suits, and the fact that it's not quite as overrun with suburban sprawl.

Last edited by anonymous; 04-16-2007 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
I prefer South Carolina. You have the palmettos, the beautiful low country, historic cities/towns that have still retained their charm, great lakes and mountains not overrun with tourists, and all mentioned above. With the exception of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for me is still truly Southern. I like coastal Carolina-- Wilmington, New Bern etc but too many damn yankee cities and illegals to be Southern. Even the name North in the North Carolina makes it less Southern Go Palmetto State!

Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Quote:
Even the name North in the North Carolina makes it less Southern
There is a small town in South Carolina named North, Zip Code 29112.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
my favorite carolina is South Carolina because it is the state of my birth, i dont dislike NC, its ilovelyand the people are great. I just love my state better and because her politics are closer to mine. Though I loved Jesse Helms

Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
With the exception of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for me is still truly Southern.
Myrtle Beach is still "more Southern" than Hilton Head, which is ironically near the southernmost geographical point in the Carolinas and like Myrtle Beach, far away from any urban areas.

I like SC better because there's less snow and more heat!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Can you guess which one I voted for Western North Carolina is the most beautiful place in the world to me. I love the mountains and the waterfalls. South Carolina is very pretty too, I just prefer North Carolina, I love the Maggie Valley area the best. The weather is sooooo much cooler in the mountains than here in Hot Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.