Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these states is the best to live in?
California 34 50.75%
Arizona 9 13.43%
New Mexico 19 28.36%
Nevada 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

Not to say that NM is a horrible place, but read some of the other Albuquerque threads. It's many of the same NM posters that ***** and moan pretty frequently about AZ, CA, and NV . They're like a pack of wolves. Most people who live in these other places (AZ, CA, NV) could really care less about whether people like it or not. I'm just not a fan of false statements made about certain places by people who don't live here and perhaps never frequent.

you dont have to take it to heart, there are gonna be people everywhere that dont like someone's state or where they come from, I bet if people that dont get on City Data were to be asked about New Mexico they would just think we were all poor illegals and I dont really care, as long as people think that way then our growth should just be steady.

and I've been on the Phoenix boards before, people are always bashing the city, probably more so than any other city that Ive seen and the people in AZ really care cause they are always backing it up, which is a good thing, different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,303 times
Quote:
While there are certainly commonalities, Arizona was never like New Mexico in my lifetime. It was like Arizona. I've been here for almost 20 years (since '92), but had been here prior and people were very friendly and welcoming. There weren't that many natives that I met then, just like now. Whenever there is growth, there is change no matter where you are. Just wait.
What the hell are you talking about? Arizona was once New Mexico.
Anyways... I really dont wanna argue with you.

We are wolves.. that attack.
Hey sorry, maybe someday you will see the difference I'm talking about.

There is a reason New Mexico is in 2nd place before Arizona. Come and see for yourself.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
While there are certainly commonalities, Arizona was never like New Mexico in my lifetime. It was like Arizona. I've been here for almost 20 years (since '92), but had been here prior and people were very friendly and welcoming. There weren't that many natives that I met then, just like now. Whenever there is growth, there is change no matter where you are. Just wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Arizona was once New Mexico.
Anyways... I really dont wanna argue with you.

We are wolves.. that attack.
Hey sorry, maybe someday you will see the difference I'm talking about.

There is a reason New Mexico is in 2nd place before Arizona. Come and see for yourself.
Bradly...You REALLY need to learn to read what someone posts. I said in my lifetime. Yes, there is a reason New Mexico is in 2nd place before AZ - because many of the Albuquerque posters have responded to this poll online. In real world, people vote with their feet - check the population figures for both states. In any case, I have a feeling that Albuquerque is a much better run city than Tucson (we hate our city council here).

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Population figures dont really matter in a poll like this.. mister "real world"
I bet if we were to have a "real world" poll asking, New Mexico would still win.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM

NEW MEXICO

Cerro Pedernal, I still love this place...I remember in High School everyone used to go wake boarding here at abiquiu lake, since it was only 10 miles away from Espanola.

Georgia o'keeffe's ashes were spread at the top, she pained this moutain several times, she called Abiquiu home for years.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Population figures dont really matter in a poll like this.. mister "real world"
I bet if we were to have a "real world" poll asking, New Mexico would still win.
...but population figures DO matter in the real world. Perhaps they don't really matter in a fantasy poll. If I were to choose to live somewhere, I may say Mykonos, but if I never do live there, it's just a fantasy.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM

292 posts, read 725,236 times
New Mexico is by all means the most unique state listed. It's a Sun Belt state but hasn't yet been completely overrun with transplants with the exception of Santa Fe. With that comes the good and bad; good in that there's what you call many genuine people who can be the salt of the earth, and the bad in that you get alot of people who have been here for eons and have never lived anywhere else..the "townie" effect. Hence, many people find that the state lacks the same cosmopolitan feel as California or Phoenix.

Besides that, it does have it's own distinctive cuisine formed from it's distinctive geography and lack of proximity to other population centers. Unfortunately, with that comes the fact that almost nobody in the USA even knows what Green Chile is when you leave the state. Seriously, I believe the state has done a horrible job in promoting it's cuisine. It should be analogous to how San Diego popularized the fish taco, and known throughout the USA.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
New Mexico is by all means the most unique state listed. It's a Sun Belt state but hasn't yet been completely overrun with transplants with the exception of Santa Fe. With that comes the good and bad; good in that there's what you call many genuine people who can be the salt of the earth, and the bad in that you get alot of people who have been here for eons and have never lived anywhere else..the "townie" effect. Hence, many people find that the state lacks the same cosmopolitan feel as California or Phoenix.

Besides that, it does have it's own distinctive cuisine formed from it's distinctive geography and lack of proximity to other population centers. Unfortunately, with that comes the fact that almost nobody in the USA even knows what Green Chile is when you leave the state. Seriously, I believe the state has done a horrible job in promoting it's cuisine. It should be analogous to how San Diego popularized the fish taco, and known throughout the USA.
You can get Green Chile all over the place in Arizona, we just usually wrap it up in a big Sonoran style tortilla. Arizona has been eating the same kind of food New Mexico has forever, I don't know why you guys think it's so different.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,394 times
California because of it's diversity and weather. When taking COL into consideration then I'd probably chose Arizona. But Nevada and New Mexico are pretty nice too.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I'm not sure why people think Arizona is so cheap to live in. It must be the lower housing cost and property tax they figure this by. Evidently that is where life begins and ends for many on COL. Adding everything up it is not all that cheap here. You give up some major things in a large Metro to live here that add to COL. There is very little transit to give one an option to owning and maintaining a vehicle. You have to have a vehicle in good shape here. The climate can kill a vehicle, as well as the driver if one breaks down here. Just alot of miles and alot of gas to be bought here. So that means car payments for most and the gas bills. The car insurance is costly here higher than one would think. The really high electric bills for 4 or 5 months really cut into ones budget. The sales tax is only one below Tennessee, which is the highest sales tax in America. There is income tax and taxes on vehicles here. So I don't get it where is this low COL in Arizona. Having a cheaper house and taxes is nice. Then again what is being given up with the lower taxes. The schools, fire depts, police. Something had to be given up. Looks like they choose the kids education in Arizona. So alot of factors in basing what a lower COL is and what that entails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.