Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 AM

227 posts, read 821,574 times

Advertisements

I'm living in DC right now and really like it, but I'm getting ready to apply to grad school. I'm applying mostly to schools in DC, NY, Boston, Chicago...I like major cities. But, since the schools I'm applying to are tough to get in, I'm going to need some backups. I know cities like Madison, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Providence, and Austin can't really compare to major cities, but how interesting are they? Is there a lot to do? Do they have nice downtown areas? I'm 27 years old so looking to have fun when I'm not studying. It's a 5 year program too (PhD) so I'm not really willing to just suck it up in a poor city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
They are major cities! What you mean is that they can't compare to the most important cities in the United States.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
This will be dependent on what you like to do and what you're interested in. You'll probably get much better answers if you give an idea of what you're like (and maybe what you're studying).

Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 PM

227 posts, read 821,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This will be dependent on what you like to do and what you're interested in. You'll probably get much better answers if you give an idea of what you're like (and maybe what you're studying).
I'll be studying economics. It is not so much the activities the cities offer, but the people who live there. I like the city vibe and would like to live where there is an abundance of educated people. My politics are also liberal which is somewhat important.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,605 times
Those are major cities, especially St. Louis and Pittsburgh.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
I'll be studying economics. It is not so much the activities the cities offer, but the people who live there. I like the city vibe and would like to live where there is an abundance of educated people. My politics are also liberal which is somewhat important.
Basically all the cities you listed fit thiscriteria quite well. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
I'm from Milwaukee and currently live in DC. So I'm extremely familiar with Madison. If you like what you have on DC, I guess Madison would be the most similar. Of course its on a a much smaller level. There is still plenty too do, and is probably one of the best college towns in the country.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Providence is not bad. It's cute and the people are very nice. There's enough there that you can enjoy the small pleasures of a small historic city locally. There's plenty of good restaurants and it's reasonably close to the ocean. The best thing about PVD is you can be in BOS in 45 minutes and the T has a stop in PVD, so it will only cost you six bucks to get there. If you get bored in BOS, you could always pop down to NYC. It's 3 hours from PVD & 4 from BOS and $15 buses leave every hour from BOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.