Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM

716 posts, read 1,116,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Gentrification is kicking regular/poor people to the suburbs.

Very true. I think it's funny when people on here bash others for living in the suburbs, saying they are greedy and self centered. The fact is, many suburbs are more affordable than urban neighborhoods now. It is trendy and cool to live in the city lately, so costs are skyrocketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
The fact is, many suburbs are more affordable than urban neighborhoods now. It is trendy and cool to live in the city lately, so costs are skyrocketing.
That of course depends on the city and where it finds itself these days. There are some suburbs of Jackson that are much more expensive, while some are on par with the city center. Downtown Jackson is starting to rise in cost due to lots of developments going on right now though. It is definitely trendy and cool to live in Downtown right now, as more and more fill the new developments as they open. I don't see Jackson prices dropping anytime soon, as the city is on the uptick right now.

As for crime in the suburbs, they are on the rise here. Just yesterday, a suburban neighborhood had 12 cars burglarized. None of the cars were locked... that's a southern trait that many have not overcome yet - "I never in a million years thought that would happen to me" mentality. Some step up their security measures and look out for one another, others pack up and move further out.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM

161 posts, read 327,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's the kind of responses this person is known for all across the forum...don't worry about it.

In the first place, no community is immune to crime...even if there has never been a shooting in your area, I'm sure there have been crimes committed. Crime is everywhere...think about how the people of Gaffney, S.C. felt after the serial killer went on that spree recently.

Criminals are different from what we've known in the past. I think many of them have realized that it's stupid to hit your own community...the real money is in nicer areas - the suburbs are nicer areas (except in Daton OH I presume ). Criminals who are good at what they do will have the resources to travel outside of their community and hit those nicer areas. I know it's been a trend in Atlanta suburbs recently - home invasions in the suburbs were pretty much unheard of 10 years ago. Now they are in the news much more frequently.

Where there are poor and uneducated people, there is going to be crime. I think a massive investment in education of impoverished people is a place to start...give those people some hope and a better opportunity to bring themselves out of poverty, and maybe there won't be as many that turn to crime as an option.
Dayton has some nice suburbs. Not sure what they are talking about there ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.