Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,403 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide on where I want to move after I graduate from law school. I'll be in my mid-twenties when I graduate, will almost definitely still be unattached, born and raised in the Midwest (small town Minnesota, mostly). I definitely want to live in a bigger city (started out living in the country, then in a town of 2500, then a town of 29,000, then a town of 100,000, aiming higher still).

Weather isn’t hugely important to me, I can deal with all kinds of weather (Southeaster MN = bitterly cold, dry, winters and hot, humid summers). My ideal weather is 65-75 degrees, but again, not of the utmost importance. Whatever city I go to, I’m think I could find career opportunities, so also not a deal breaker.

I grew up near Rochester, MN, population 80,000, where everything is spread out, it’s impossible to walk anywhere, no soul (bland and boring), non-existent downtown, and almost entirely composed of strip malls. Probably perfect for raising a family, but to me, a living hell. I want a city where you can walk from shops to restaurants to bars without having to get into a car. I want a city that has a unique feel to it. Like the opposite of Rochester.

I’m looking for a city with the right intangibles. I want to live somewhere that’s alive and vibrant. I also want somewhere where it’s not impossible to escape the city on the weekend, where you can reach a beach or a mountain or a lake without driving for two or three hours (not as important as being vibrant/alive, but still a consideration). I tend to be initially shy when thrown into new surroundings, so I also want somewhere where it’s not impossible to meet new people or break into established social circles. And where at least some segment of the population is more laid-back.

Does a city like this exist?

My two top cities in consideration right now are Chicago and San Francisco. I’m also kind of considering Seattle, Denver and Boston. As for NYC/LA, I’m torn. It’d be fun to live in major world metropolitan area, but I’m not entirely sure I’d assimilate well into either of those cities, and for NYC, at least, I think the work-hard-and-then-work-harder kind of atmosphere (especially in terms of the law firm culture) would get to me.

I’m open to all suggestions.

Last edited by Brent385; 07-16-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Of those cities mentioned, I'd say Boston or SF, with a slight edge to SF. I've heard Boston can be cliquey, and tough to break into social circles.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 20,973 times
San Francisco is wonderful but very expensive for a new grad and the California job market is tough.

Chicago is also a great city but unless you count Lake Michigan, it doesn't meet your criteria for getting away easily. You can drive for hours through suburbs and cornfields. Job market is also getting much tougher.

Austin or Denver might be to your liking.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,403 times
I've been told good things about Austin from a lot of people. I've never been there, but from what I hear, it's got a sort of an interesting, diverse population, very eclectic, from all walks of life. I've also heard it tends to be one of the more friendly and welcoming cities.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
You might also like the other Rochester (in New York), Grand Rapids, Cleveland (especially university circle), Pittsburgh, or Indy if you want more suburban sterile.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent385 View Post

I’m looking for a city with the right intangibles. I want to live somewhere that’s alive and vibrant. I also want somewhere where it’s not impossible to escape the city on the weekend, where you can reach a beach or a mountain or a lake without driving for two or three hours (not as important as being vibrant/alive, but still a consideration). I tend to be initially shy when thrown into new surroundings, so I also want somewhere where it’s not impossible to meet new people or break into established social circles. And where at least some segment of the population is more laid-back.

Does a city like this exist?

My two top cities in consideration right now are Chicago and San Francisco. I’m also kind of considering Seattle, Denver and Boston. As for NYC/LA, I’m torn.
Without a doubt I'd recommend Denver. It answers all of the criteria you mentioned.

Alive and vibrant, check.

Denverites live to escape the city on the weekends and they do...a lot of residents head off in all directions when Friday night hits. There is a great big playground of mountains, lakes and trails to explore.

Denver is by far I believe the most welcoming big city, period. I chalk it up to the fact so many are from someplace else.

Laidback? Denver epitomizes laidback.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You could do it here in Syracuse. You would have to look at neighborhoods like Downtown, Tipperary Hill(Far West Side) or Westcott.

Albany might be another one to consider. You also have smaller cities like Troy, Saratoga Springs and Schenectady nearby too. I would think the Lark Street area of Albany would be your cup of tea.

Rochester's Park Ave. neighborhood would work. They also have Charlotte Beach there too. It's within 2 and a half hours from the Adirondacks too.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Boston, DC, Philly...

I'd say Chicago, esp for law career, but you said this
"I also want somewhere where it’s not impossible to escape the city on the weekend, where you can reach a beach or a mountain or a lake without driving for two or three hours (not as important as being vibrant/alive, but still a consideration)."

When I lived there I didn't really need to escape. Obviously no mountains.

SF is the best option for outdoor activities and climate.

Seattle has Vancouver and Portland available for weekend drives.

Really depends what is more important to you.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Would choose city w/best career opportunities, both at firm one is joining and at other leading firms if one wants maximal career liquidity

In any competitive, lucrative industry (in any economy) would prioritize 100hr workwks for first 5-10 yrs of career before worrying about lifestyle fluff and girlie stuff like work/life balance

One usually lacks time and money to really enjoy any high-powered region like NYC/SF/BevHills early in career; quickly, money arrives; free time usually comes slightly later

For ex., generations of financiers who are car nuts started their career in Manhattan, the world's mecca for finance but a living hell for car guys, but only chose to flee to SF or BevHills, paradise for car nuts, after they had laid groundwork for their career by their mid-late 20s...all about priorities

Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 AM

96 posts, read 243,611 times
From what you described, I would seriously look into Overland Park, Ks. Sure the population isnt that big on paper, but it runs right into Kansas City. However, it still has that small city feel to it, even though every single amnety you could want exists there. Crime is low, its not too terribly expensive, and pretty much the entire city is home to many professionals. The design of the city is easily navigatable and you can escape down to the many small towns, lakes, countryside in a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.