Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 PM

371 posts, read 940,478 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I am planning to get a fairly big house, there will be extra rooms and I can rent them out....where do you guys find this kind of tenants? need to be extra careful since they actually live with you.

Or I can also be a host family....how do you qualify for a host family? Do you have to cook, take them to school etc or you just provide room and that's it? any help will be greatly appreciated

other than those 2..anymore other ways to make a few bucks from your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 PM

371 posts, read 940,478 times
anyone?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
I've rented a room out to someone before. I will only rent to women, as I have a young son, and I don't want any other men around him. I'm just not trusting, to many weirdos out there.

I usually post an add on craigslist, put some pictures up, and then just talk to the people who are interested. The hardest part for me is telling someone I've choosen someone else. Kind of a rejection thing, and I hate doing it.

Best advice I can say, ask for refrences, and make sure you make everything you expect up front. Don't want boyfreinds over, pets, family, frequent late night arrivals, drinking, smoking, tell them up front. How much do you expect them to clean, be exact. Don't just say, "oh do the dishes once and a while" Once in a while may be once their entire time staying with you.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM

87 posts, read 358,012 times
Where do you live?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've rented a room out to someone before. I will only rent to women, as I have a young son, and I don't want any other men around him. I'm just not trusting, to many weirdos out there.
Don't be naive, plenty of weirdo women to match the men. Just doesn't get talked about as much in our society.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Hi am looking to a rent room for my faimly me abd me hubby and my 7 yr old daughter and my small dog in california

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Where do you live?
This seems like a seriously important detail.

I've found sublets on Craigslist and people searching for sublets on Craigslist. You'll need to interview/screen people to keep out the weirdos.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM

192 posts, read 292,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Hi guys I am planning to get a fairly big house, there will be extra rooms and I can rent them out....where do you guys find this kind of tenants? need to be extra careful since they actually live with you.

Or I can also be a host family....how do you qualify for a host family? Do you have to cook, take them to school etc or you just provide room and that's it? any help will be greatly appreciated

other than those 2..anymore other ways to make a few bucks from your house?

I've recently rented out two rooms in my house. The first tenant I found word of mouth. The second responded to my Craigslist add. I have been very happy with both.

First talk with your prospects and follow your gut feeling. Make sure they have a guaranteed source of income. Try to find someone who is similar in temperment and life values. Clearly set house rules and expectations. Assure everyones' privacy. Let new tenants know that the first 90 days will be a probationary period to ensure that you are compatible. Most of all check their facebook pages.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Best to check zoning laws. Some say that a " Single Family Home" may only be occupied by related individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.