Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:30 PM

646 posts, read 813,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am not quite sure what you are saying, Stu...but I if you mean that there are some who do not include Texas in the South, then I agree that indeed there are some who don't. Like with Virginia, Florida, etc. I think the reasons for doing so are wrong, but that is what the whole topic of this thread is about. We can only present our own cases as to what states are "Southern" and let the chips and reasoning fall where they may!

Point acknowleged, but not exactly the same thing. For instance, the National Weather Service Office regional maps include New Mexico, which is hardly a Southern state. But exclude the Carolinas which are.

Now, perhaps in terms of climate/conditions/etc there is good reason for that. But point being, to present a map of the NWS as indicitive of what constitues the South, is extremely irrelevant. And much less so than a map of the Old Confederacy which in fact does reflect certain aspects which carry on to this day.

Thank you and ditto!
I had no idea this before had been a long debated topic (check my join date) it really just reemerged so I joined it. Some posters had brought up the flora and fauna of a region. Va is a triangle. The Bay to the east is shared by 5 NE states for everything and cultures have emerged around that, ( I can show you that later).

There obviously many more reasons, the map I posted that put questionable states in it was done by (if you found the sources) by those interested in certain species found in only or primarily certain places that may or may not overlap, the map some made a fuss (but not the others)of was not such a good rep, but to show perspective of the study's Northeast species, that was their title.

Therefore I was continuing by following that issue. A few things will grow in some places, did you know even Palms can be found in England?

Point being those who live even in Southern or SE Virginia will often see themselves represented in various ways, in news, and thru educational venues at early ages. Natives more often than not know this.

It's a shame what could be a very interesting topic is so restricted by prejudice and bias.

After the Confed, there was the FAA created as an example so: Airports - Eastern Region

The Eastern Region includes the following states:
  • Delaware
  • Maryland
  • New Jersey
  • New York Northeast Metro Area
  • Pennsylvania
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • District of Columbia
Then we have the geograpy, weather and climate and geology of a region, Va spans and these things do dictate cultures regardless of superimposed cultures later or those making more rapid transformation now. If you saw maps from the original Indian languages you'd see they were Northeastern and Up MW group exclusively. (This is amazing like to show you sometime. They knew some things only now modern tech can show us. The Bay is shared by 5 or 6 NE,MidAtlantic states and so vital that everything that we rely on.

Northeast Metro Area

USDA region 4 for specific regional agriculture culture that so many here have tried to use.

And lastly the geologist viewpoint since you didn't see before.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post2149464

The Native, The South, the Confed South, as well as the typical MidAtlantic or typical Northeastern cultures are all temporary and superimposed temporally on the land. They're all changing, merging, etc like rivers especially in this region.

TX having even been it's own country I'm sure has many identities, but even Va several times operated as an independent state.

Keep in mind the vast majority of people in this discussion are not Virginians at all but perhaps by transplant from either N or S, E,W and many live in extreme border areas and/or mostly very mountainous or rural spots w/n the state.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
There are many people from South Jersey that fly the confederate flag and believe they are southerners and dislike the northerners from there own state. Virginia is a southern state.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Thread temporarily closed.

Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.