Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,435,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Great places to raise a family, and close enough to a big city when you want it.
I meant the NYC area (including suburbs) is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,601,718 times
The town in the suburbs where I lived had 6 times the number of people that the "city" of Naples has.

Exactly right.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,601,718 times
Default There are a LOT of suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I meant the NYC area (including suburbs) is not for everyone.
of major cities around this country. Who said it has to just be NY?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,435,510 times
Quote:
of major cities around this country. Who said it has to just be NY?
I thought you were only referring to NYC suburbs. Misunderstanding on my part.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM

25 posts, read 136,061 times
Default Nestors and Flyers

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to the 'stay or move' question that there are two types of people; Nestors-people who like to stay in one place and not move anywhere, and; Flyers-people (like me) that no matter how much they like a place they feel some innate craving to move every so often.

Based on comments that I have seen posted here and from personal ones that I have received the two different types simply cannot comprehend the others point of view. I have tried to be the exception and really understand life from the 'Nestors' point of view.

I realized that any society NEEDS both types of people. One (the Nestors) to preserve the culture of that town, city, country, etc. and the other (the Flyers) to spread that culture around the world. If the world only had Nestors then we would know very little about other cultures and if we only had Flyers then there would be very little culture to know anything about because the Flyers are always absorbing and adapting to their new environments.

I have learned to be appreciative of my Nestor family members and friends and I know longer get perplexed over their seeming lack of interest in anything outside of their world. I realized that I was feeling invalidated in my role as a Flyer because very few people were buying into it and giving me support--They wanted me to be like them! I, in turn, was feeling put on the spot and always having to defend my "Flying" stance. I don't do that any more. I am content with the knowledge that I am who I am and I am not a bad or "unstable" person because I don't choose to live in the same place for decades.

I have decided, recently, that I will use San Francisco as my base (because I am totally in love with it) and spend 3 months a year living in another country and 9 months in the US. I may up it to 6/6 but I think that I will always want to return part of the time to San Francisco.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think the happiest , most content people come from towns where their roots run deep and had a good secure childhood.
These are people who went off to get an education, and came back home to raise the next generation. Nowadays that sounds like a fairytale, but it happens quite a bit where I live.
The problem with this is...they come back with an advanced education, and there are no advanced jobs warranting them to stay, so they move on.

EB ...I definitely feel that need, and see why you would pick San Francisco... Eventually I just want to be a consultant for business so I can have at least 3-4 months of year to travel. I also plan to try out some major cities for several years to really get a taste of them.

The problem is building up a network of friends, then leaving... tough call.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,738 times
Some people live their whole life in the same city because some cities has it all, like NYC. It has urbans, and suburbs.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,738 times
Quote:
I have travelled from the east coast to the west coast, and around Europe. I spent my summers as a child in the midwest. I lived in Florida for a short time as a young adult, although not because I particularly wanted to move there.

When you are born and raised in NYC and/or live very near it, why move anywhere else? Besides, what are vacations for?
I agree

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,565,097 times
I think the big thing for me is that I've spent 26 years building up a network of friends, connections, events that I enjoy, etc. Also, I like being close to family.

I have done some traveling, and if I picked the ideal place, it would be somewhere else. I love it here, don't get me wrong, but I'm not pretending that it's my dream spot.

The thing is, the people in my life are way more important than superficial things like entertainment options, geography, the weather, etc. That stuff is not going to make me happy. That's what vacations are for.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
People at past time live at same place becoz they likely prefer to live their where they grew up he/she was born plenty of memories are related. They feel safe there, good quality of life, little crimes as compare to other cities/towns and have a lot of friends,families and great job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.