Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,506,910 times

Advertisements

I was going to use a specific area, but then figured everyone would have pros or cons. Why (or why not) did you stay in the same city, what was it and where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:06 PM

806 posts, read 2,874,248 times
Having grown up somewhat nomadic, I have the urge to move on every five years. Tougher now with a family, but it's already happened twice. The trick is to couch it in adventurous terms. Nothing like adventure to get everyone on board.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:09 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,036,966 times
I don't know, I guess it is because I've got loads of friends and much of my family here, as well as a good job. I sometimes think of moving away, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I did move away for college for 3 years, but I moved back when I was done.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 PM

606 posts, read 694,030 times
maybe they just don't want to leave since the city is good enough

Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
Generally speaking, people hate change. Why upset the apple cart if you don't HAVE to?

But, others want to experience as much as possible. Fear is for the other guy. I'm happy to be in this group!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,036,966 times
Fear has nothing to do with anything. I've traveled all over the world, hiked mountains in Russia, danced in a Sao Paulo nightclub, swam in Munich's eisbach river, visited the Scottish highlands ... I just like to go home to Chicago, where I grew up. Just because someone likes where he or she was born and raised and likes the community that comes with it does not mean that he or she is cowering behind the door in fear afraid to cross the boundaries of her hometown and experience something new, it doesn't mean that at all.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
My cousin, who is 34, has lived in the same town since she was 7 or so. It's a great town, plenty to do, very safe, and she has tons of friends since she's always lived there. I don't blame her for being reluctant to ever want to move.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:27 PM

364 posts, read 522,464 times
I think it's obvious. If your happy in your location and/or have alot of friends, family, great job, why would you leave? As someone who has moved many times it is a pain in the .... ! I have two family members that have lived in the same place there entire life. Like I said above they have everything they need. The grass isn't always greener on the other side! They never had any empathy for me moving because they have no idea how hard, stressful, expensive, and everything else it can be.

If you want to experience new things.... travel! It's that easy.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,317,556 times
I guess my husband and I sort of fall into this category. We both grew up on farms and lived near small towns. But the town we live in was always our "big town" since we had to come here to buy clothes, shoes, or basically anything but groceries or parts for farm machinery. It's also the only town in the immediate area that has employment.

Now that our family and relatives from this area are pretty well gone, I'm ready to move on. I've lived here 51 years and my husband has lived here 61 years. I guess it was just familiarity that has made us stay. I don't like our cold winters and I never have, but we do have a good quality of life here. (friendly people, very little crime in comparison to national averages,) We've always liked to go to oldies concerts and there are several in the area every year. We also always liked to go to drive-ins (movies) and even though many have closed up, we have one right here that re-opened about 10 years ago. We're within a half days drive to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. If it was up to my husband, we'd spend our entire lives right here.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
Some people have the ability to adapt and be content no matter where they are, some people are reluctant to rock the boat, some people are afraid of the unfamiliar, some people know a good thing when they have it.

I don't think that a person's upbringing (moved around a lot, or stayed in one place till age 18) necessarily influences what they do as an adult.
And it depends on the city; bigger cities attract more people, smaller cities grow more slowly.
Most (but not all) of my Denver friends came from somewhere else, about half my friends here were at least born in Florida if not near, or in this town.

I agree that travel can assuage a person's wanderlust. I was happy in the same spot for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.