Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Cough Cough to pittnurse and terripan, Maryland is pretty much the northeast, cough cough
WTF? What's with the coughing? Do you have TB? Terrapin lives in MD, for pete's sake!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-02-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
^ actually i do have a rare disease that makes me cough so thanks for that

and no, i was just trying to make my point that i do not think that Maryland is outside of the Northeast. and I know terrapin is from MD, i can read ya know! but him being from MD has nothing to do with anything.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ actually i do have a rare disease that makes me cough so thanks for that

Sorry to hear that. But you were trying to be snide, so I thought I'd return it.

and no, i was just trying to make my point that i do not think that Maryland is outside of the Northeast. and I know terrapin is from MD, i can read ya know! but him being from MD has nothing to do with anything.
There have been many conversations here on CD about just what is the north, the south, blah, blah. You have probably participated in some of them. My point was Terrapin is a Marylander, and does not seem to think MD is the NE. I am from Pennsylvania originally, and neither do I. I know others disagree. I included the Maryland schools in my list of "top schools outside the NE". So you should be glad. The only school in the US News Top 50 is Johns Hopkins, duly noted.

I do agree with jad2000, who says
Quote:
"Before people start discussing education, I'd highly suggest we look up true facts rather than molding them to fit one opinion."
My real beef was with terrapin, who said the University of Illinois, with its renowned programs and Nobel Prize winners, was a tier below schools such as Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Clemson, etc.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-02-2008, 06:12 PM

^ real mature, i wasn't even being completely serious
So? just because some Marylanders think its not the NE doesnt mean that other marylanders agree! Most of the time, northerners think MDs the south and southerners think MDs the north. Its debatable, so don't act like im completley wrong because its subjective. why should i be glad? im not going to change my thoughts about where Maryland is physically located because you include the MD schools and not Northeastern ones. and ok, than if you're going to say that we should talk facts than you i don't think you can state that MDs not NE because that is debatable. You catch my drift? (haha kidding)

Im sorry, i just get, idk caught up in my opinion sometimes. idk, im sorry, im just a woman with an opinon, and i acted childish, once again sorry

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Don't worry about it, we've all done it (at least I have). I've learned to try not to be so snide on CD, though it's my natural inclination!

Anyway, I am not concerned about whether MD is considered NE or the south. You can argue either way, I think, and still be right. I remember when my family moved to Frederick, MD from Bloomsburg, PA. The movers from Frederick sounded soooo southern! After living there a little while, we didn't hear the southern accent any more.

My real point was more that the U of Illinois is a highly rated school, and I should probably let that rest, too. I know it's good, so I shoudn't care what someone else thinks.

RE: the topic, LOL, I think the east coast means the eastern coast of the US. I don't think it matters that the term is "seaboard" for the east, and not for the west. It would be interesting to look into the derivation of the word "seaboard" and learn why it is applied only to the east coast.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM

i hate negative reps
but thanks for excepting the apology

Old 02-02-2008, 06:27 PM

I did not give you a negative rep. I haven't given one out in months because I think they're tacky, can usually be resolved another way. I probably only gave out two or three before I quit.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-02-2008 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Don't forget Syracuse.

In a book I found at a college library.... I studied a map which divided the country into regions. The "East Coast" region cut half between Syracuse and Utica. So Utica was the western most city in the "East Coast" region and Syracuse was eastern most city in the "Foundry Region". The book was published in the 1950s....
The Foundry Region??? Guess that's what they called it before it rusted!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Upstate NY is in the same mess as Pittsburgh: a no man's land. Neither east nor west. Most people (out here anyway) think of all of NY and PA as the east coast. I once met a guy from Ohio who felt he was from the east. Ditto some from Michigan.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Maryland is pretty much in the Northeast. Corporate, politics, educated, classy Northeastern feel to it. I guess it's mainly a white-collar state, especially DC.

The Mason-Dixon Line days have been over for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.