Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM

207 posts, read 323,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think Whites are ashamed to be White. It's more like Italians are proud to be Italian, Irish proud to be Irish and so on. This is due to most being able to trace their ethnic lineage in comparison to say Blacks in the US. I see it more in this respect in the Northeast.
Come on. Surely you see my point. The fact that this question is even being raised on here proves my whole point. Why do we even need to discuss this topic to begin with? If people want to be around their own, then let them. It is only whites who see this as taboo and racist (only if whites prefer their own, that is). This is something that is so obvious. In Japan, or any other nonwhite country for that matter, this topic never even crosses anyone's mind, because, unlike white societies, these other countries don't even bother with multiculturalism. They take it for granted that they only have to wake up, go to work, go home, play etc.. with their own race and only their own race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM

34 posts, read 186,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What do you think of people who hang out within their ethnicities?

What about people who speak who speak another language other then English around folks who only speak English? Is this considered rude?
i think its human nature to want to hang out with people that they are use to seeing, people who they are comfortable with. For example many non US citizen Asians tend to seek out Asians to hang out with.

This would be true if a Caucasian was in an Asian country, they tend to seek friends that they can connect and feel at home with, therefore they tend to hang out with other fellow Caucasians.

I think many people who speak another language other than English around folks who only speak English, they don't do it on purpose, it just comes natural to them. Yes it can be rude at times, but it depends on the situation and many times people don't even realize its rude. I think it would only be acceptable if they translate briefly what they were just talking about to the person who doesn't speak the language that they do.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,548,091 times
Are Americans Suffering Diversity Fatigue? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1199702,00.html - broken link)

An oldie but a goodie.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
White people in America , and around the world for that matter, are the only people who make a big deal out of this topic.

The Chinese aren't ashamed of being Chinese or openly racist. Neither are the Japanese.

Blacks in America, the Carribean, Africa , or wherever, are not ashamed of being black or being amongst themselves only.

The arab countries are proud of the way they are and they don't want to change their ways. The same can be said for India.

Why is it only whites who act as if it is a sin to be proud of themselves or to want to only live around other whites? This doesn't mean you have to be hateful or racist about it, but it is perfectly healthy and normal to prefer your own race.

Seriously, does anybody really think most white countries are going in a healthy direction these days, with all the immigrants they are letting in? Seriously.
All this diversity stuff is really being taken to an extreme. It almost seems that if you're white you have to apologize for it. Yet other races are free to do as they please. My opinion is that it is some liberal whites who have created this situation. I for one refuse to go along with this nonsense. In my personal life, all my friends are white. I see nothing wrong with this. If someone is black and he hangs around with all black friends, I have no problem with that either. We all have the right to associate and disassociate with who we wish to.

At work, some of this diversity has gone so far as to be laughable. We were forced to attend events on diversity and proper behavior around 'other' people. I asked if I could get out of this 'event' and my boss said '...everyone has to go to this crap. I don't like it any more than you do'. There was actually a non-white guy who asked in the event 'Since I'm obviously not white, why do I have to be here?'. The moderator of the event was practically speechless for a minute and told him that it was for everyone's benefit. Ya right!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM

100 posts, read 304,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
But you don't control for other factors so you cannot take 10 random people that you meet as an accurate sample to draw a reasonable conclusion from.
Do you believe average people will draw conclusions on only 10 examples? I'm over 30... I've drawn my conclusions way past 10........

I would run through each of your arguments but it would be repeating myself. There are people that would like to "feel" good about themselves that they think they are 100% immune to some type of bias.

All I can say is BS. So BS politically correct that you can't call 911 and say 2 black men appear to be breaking into a house, but it'll probably be okay if call and say 2 white men...

White people aren't the only ones that can be racists...

YouTube - Sensitivity Training

Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post
Do you believe average people will draw conclusions on only 10 examples? I'm over 30... I've drawn my conclusions way past 10........

I would run through each of your arguments but it would be repeating myself. There are people that would like to "feel" good about themselves that they think they are 100% immune to some type of bias.

All I can say is BS. So BS politically correct that you can't call 911 and say 2 black men appear to be breaking into a house, but it'll probably be okay if call and say 2 white men...

Where are you getting this from?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Come on. Surely you see my point. The fact that this question is even being raised on here proves my whole point. Why do we even need to discuss this topic to begin with? If people want to be around their own, then let them. It is only whites who see this as taboo and racist (only if whites prefer their own, that is). This is something that is so obvious. In Japan, or any other nonwhite country for that matter, this topic never even crosses anyone's mind, because, unlike white societies, these other countries don't even bother with multiculturalism. They take it for granted that they only have to wake up, go to work, go home, play etc.. with their own race and only their own race.
You are comparing apples to oranges and here's why. Those countries didn't go across the world to conquer and round up or get people of other groups like Europeans did to help build the Americas. Then, you have to realize that those countries don't have the diversity of the countries of the Western Hemisphere for the reason I mentioned. So, you are comparing countries with different histories and make ups.

Also, it is a fact that most Whites can trace or find out about their lineage. Hence the reason why many celebrate their ethnic heritage(s) in a country that is still about 2/3rd's "White". Let's be honest, it's not like all Europeans are one big happy family because they are considered White and that has never been the case. So, that is another reason for why many Whites celebrate their heritage ethnically.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldvn View Post

I thought that video was hillarious! So much truth to it too and many things were said that a lot of people think but won't say.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM

814 posts, read 2,300,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges and here's why. Those countries didn't go across the world to conquer and round up or get people of other groups like Europeans did to help build the Americas. Then, you have to realize that those countries don't have the diversity of the countries of the Western Hemisphere for the reason I mentioned. So, you are comparing countries with different histories and make ups.

Also, it is a fact that most Whites can trace or find out about their lineage. Hence the reason why many celebrate their ethnic heritage(s) in a country that is still about 2/3rd's "White". Let's be honest, it's not like all Europeans are one big happy family because they are considered White and that has never been the case. So, that is another reason for why many Whites celebrate their heritage ethnically.
and it's weird that some whites think they have to associate with nonwhites outside of work or school or pretend they are being forced to. i see whites who choose to only have white friends and other races do the same. i don't see anyone say anything about that or get upset about it. i personally avoid some places there are lots of whites because i may not have the same interests like nascar, most sports bars, fundamentist churches etc. they are confusing racist behavior though with just preference. you don't have to be racist or nasty to prefer your own personally and who you choose to associate with. that's why even in your own race, not everyone has the same circle of friends or best friends, interests, etc. work politics is different and those classes are just to make sure people are aware that it's not okay to discriminate in the workplace.

there is even a western area of seoul in korea. nobody cares. some asians go there like whites go to chinatown

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I thought that video was hillarious! So much truth to it too and many things were said that a lot of people think but won't say.
Why is that? Is it because people are more soft now and won't stand up for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.