Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,875,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I havent moved yet, but I am living in a town which I do not like now!!

I do not like Lincoln, Nebraska at all and hopefully moving to a larger, more urban state like Ohio this summer.

Ive been in Lincoln 8 months and hopefully moving July or August. All I can say is I made a big mistake of moving there.

In my opinion the best way to cope with living in a very unappealing place is just laugh at it.

Guess living in Lincoln has made me thankful that I am gay because so many people in this town have 3+ babies by the time they are my age (all be 25 in July). Lincolnites have very deep, absolueist religious convictions (Its alot of like rural Utah) and they believe in marriage by (early 20s) and having lots of babies.

I just have to laugh it off and have a sense of humor and look at the positives of the situation. It can get stressful alot of the time because people here will stare because they think its bizzare and unfathomable that anyone could be single at my age.
I don't think of Ohio as being very different culturally, although it is definitely more urban. Are you moving to NE Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM

769 posts, read 2,210,271 times
I lived in the same area for 41 years, at first because it was all I knew and then because of custody issues. Once my daughter turned 18 and came to live with me full-time, we started talking about moving, but were talking in the 1-2 year range. Guess there were other plans because 2 weeks after I was in NC to do some scouting I found out I was being laid off and that time frame narrowed down to 4 months. The severance package and unemployment insurance gave us the cushion we needed to make the move without stressing so much about the financial aspects.

I still love California, but the financial strains meant that we were just doing ok. Here, we're starting to move ahead already.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 PM

250 posts, read 930,587 times
Well it depends what you mean by stuck; do I want to leave this area, yes! Do I have the finances to leave, no. If it weren't the fact that I have 3 kids, have a mother-in-law who's about to die from cancer and am currently in the RN program at my college, I'd leave in a heartbeat. The time just isn't right. But trust me, I really hate the area I live in. Not the people, just the cookie cutter homes, the lack of scenery, the lack of activities, etc.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,018,861 times
I hated where I grew up...too rural, very little to do...young people often left soon after school and the only people moving into the area were families with young children and retirees. I love the country, and by nature I am a homebody, but I still like to be able to get to work, shopping, etc., quickly.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,274,613 times
I don't care for where I am,still working on my escape...lol

Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM

350 posts, read 1,086,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Family's what brought me back here (NE Phila burbs), family only, and I hate the area even more than I did before. Having lived in places I'd loved so much make it even harder this time. It's just too gloomy. And nobody seems to remotely care or take pride in their work or anything in this town, just blah. Got very spoiled with great workplaces in other regions but only got burnt here in the past, so am a homemaker for now (first time ever) until I find a job with a long commute to another county, or travel again.

Philly can, indeed, be depressing. Maybe one of the sports teams will win someday and help the self esteem.
Travel'r: What were the other places that you lived in that you really loved?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 85,754 times
Thumbs down Found a way out!

The worst place I ever lived was Portland, OR. I still live here! However, I will only be here until June and then I'm gone forever.

I don't know what I'd do with myself and my unhappy family if I had to stay here much longer than that!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM

332 posts, read 1,620,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1068 View Post
The worst place I ever lived was Portland, OR. I still live here! However, I will only be here until June and then I'm gone forever.

I don't know what I'd do with myself and my unhappy family if I had to stay here much longer than that!
Gosh, what's wrong with Portland? Most people seem to love it.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
I've heard nothing but good about Portland, the only guy I knew who moved back here (Chicago) from Portland did so due to lack of employment opportunities and has talked about moving back ever since.

I was stuck in NW Indiana for a few months, thankfully that didn't last. Other than that though, I've never felt 'stuck', except for once when I was stuck living in a roach and rodent infested apartment in a gang-infested neighborhood (complete with random gunfire) for eight months. THAT was the longest eight months of my life. After some help with the tenants union, I quite literally abandon the apartment, scrapped together as much of my belongs as I could (I was young and didn't own much at the time), and moved on. As far as towns though, I joke around a lot about where I currently live being my own personal black hole (in the age of what seems to be constant relocation), but the truth is, is that I like it here and don't feel stuck at all.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,667,007 times
Hi Breezy
Chicago; Naples, Key Largo & Palm Beach, Fl.; on a mountain in North Carolina in a very friendly community :>)

Working with many die-hard Cubs fans, you'd think they'd be as agitated as us in Philly. Those poor folks do really live and die with that perenially hapless team. Just less inclined to show general frustrations towards others, I guess.
Some of the most thoughtful people it's ever been my pleasure to work with would surprise me with their gestures, as they have the same stresses and congestion of any metro, really. Was very pleasantly surprised with the selflessness -- and in the workplace, too! Walking into businesses there were, literally, pleasures. Geez, people called you by name when you went back! Guess that's why one Philly Inquirer columnist told his readers as he compared the two cities: "The City That Works" (as Chicago is known.)

Maybe they should bottle their drinking water & ship it out or something :>)
I grew up loving Philly. But it's nice to experience folks being a little different anyplace we may travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.