Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM

15 posts, read 25,172 times

Advertisements

Canada is an accidental byproduct of the American Rebellion. It really doesn't make much sense. Dixie is more of a real country. So we sacrificed 600,000 young men to keep it. Mexico is completely alien, of course, which explains why we are melding with it. It's a wacky world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
To someone who has rarely traveled South might find Atlanta and Charlotte "just alike",but they are very far apart socially,economically,and geographically.They are very far apart.Just as Ottawa is to Montreal.
They aren't "just alike" (Atlanta is in a higher tier than Charlotte), but they're also not "very far apart," either, especially geographically. It takes me about 3½ hours to get to Atlanta from Charlotte; that's not "very far apart" at all.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumerang View Post
Canada is an accidental byproduct of the American Rebellion. It really doesn't make much sense. Dixie is more of a real country. So we sacrificed 600,000 young men to keep it. Mexico is completely alien, of course, which explains why we are melding with it. It's a wacky world.
And the US is an accidental byproduct of the British colonisation of North America.

Point?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM

95 posts, read 178,157 times
Hmmm, my feller is a truck driver and I went on the road with him a bit. I have been all over these states, and even though things aren't exactly the same, I never felt like I was that far from home. Even when we went to Seattle, WA. That was the furtherest I ever been from home.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 PM

96 posts, read 243,611 times
Well considering I went to Quebec.......................Lol, I think it was a bit more foreign feeling to me then the South was . We have a few french named towns, rivers, etc in Missouri, but I'm afraid thats as close to french as we get!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I would rather watch Ice Road Truckers than Live from the Grand Old Oprey. Country music is more foreign to me than snow and ice.
Canadians seem to like country music, too. After all, Emerson Drive and Shania Twain are Canadians.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSouthernRide View Post
Hmmm, my feller is a truck driver and I went on the road with him a bit. I have been all over these states, and even though things aren't exactly the same, I never felt like I was that far from home. Even when we went to Seattle, WA. That was the furtherest I ever been from home.
I'm a native Georgian from metro Atlanta, and I don't feel as though I'm in another world in most locations of the U.S. Parts of South Florida, South Texas, and parts of the L.A. area apply, but not much more. This has much to do with the different cultural/ethnic demographic of the area.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 PM

95 posts, read 178,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I'm a native Georgian from metro Atlanta, and I don't feel as though I'm in another world in most locations of the U.S. Parts of South Florida, South Texas, and parts of the L.A. area apply, but not much more. This has much to do with the different cultural/ethnic demographic of the area.
We went to Goulds, Fl... wasn't too keen on it. Went to a suburb of San Diego... or at least I think it was... I didn't like California...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
As a real Westerner (as opposed to say, someone transplanted from the East, or, raised to think like an Easterner) I'd say the South is the part of the US most like the West. Of course, I say this with the bias of a Southwesterner, I realize that the Pac NW and Nothern Tier are a lot more "Yankee" than we are down here. During the CW, California, where I am from, was technically a border state based on both sentiment and the particulars of admission to the Union.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As a real Westerner (as opposed to say, someone transplanted from the East, or, raised to think like an Easterner) I'd say the South is the part of the US most like the West. Of course, I say this with the bias of a Southwesterner, I realize that the Pac NW and Nothern Tier are a lot more "Yankee" than we are down here. During the CW, California, where I am from, was technically a border state based on both sentiment and the particulars of admission to the Union.
Parts of southern California, particularly the inland areas, tend to have a lot of people that are closer to "southerners" than "northerners" in lifestyle, beliefs, and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.