Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has "the South" lost its slow-pace way of living?
Yes 52 46.43%
No 60 53.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

It isn't all because of transplants, even areas of the South with very few transplants are still becoming more rushed and rude. It's just the times we live in, people are working longer hours trying to make ends meet while trying to fit in time for their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 AM

199 posts, read 546,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think much of the south has lost its slow pace. Every year I go on a civil war battlefield trip, and I find most places to be quite fast paced. Mississippi retains its traditional slow paced southern culture, but Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina and especially Virginia are not slow paced at all. I live in the corn fields of central Michigan and when I returned home last year from my trip to Virgina I felt relief from the fast pace of life that exists there. Michigan is much slower paced than alot of the south these days. Too many New Yorkers have ruined the southeast states. Nothing wrong with moving to the part of the country you want to live in, but leave New York in New York and adapt the culture of the south if that is where you choose to live. Those transplants have no right to change the local culture the way they are now. I understand why the people of the Carolinas are so bent out of shape about all the people from NY, NJ that are overunning thier state. Last time I was there I heard as many northeastern accents as I did southern. Thought I misread my map and ended up in NJ by mistake lol .
Thank you for your comment. I completely agree with you about the New Yorkers and would add in others from the North. That's why when I go back home to Virginia, I plan to live in a small town and hope to find some semblance of what the South was still there.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Looks like u dont know what it is. Baltimore hasnt been southern in my lifetime or my parents'. Nobody in Baltimore considers themselves southern. This city's lay out isnt like a southern city. have u been to Philly? if so, Baltimore is identical to what you've seen there. we dont walk, talk & act southern. I've realized that NYers are the most insular people that you'll ever meet; like everything west of the Hudson is a foriegn country. I remember a woman(A NYer) asked me if people in baltimore own shovels & snow-blowers, and does it usually get cold in the winter? ... I have plenty of examples but I'll let that one breathe
sounds like you have a lot of pent up anger towards nyers.

are you done or is there more?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Well, what he said is true, many NYer's (not the whole state) have never left their city and know very little about the rest of the country.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

u know better than that, its not that serious...just alot of retarded NYers

Old 10-03-2010, 03:36 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well, what he said is true, many NYer's (not the whole state) have never left their city and know very little about the rest of the country.

Agreed,I"m from upstate and to NYC people the city is there only world they know.

But at the same time much of the rest of the country doesn't know NY is actually a state and not just a city.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
eek

Quote:
its funny how ppl say this on CD. its like the default go to argument against a NY.

ppl are aware that a large number of us are from somewhere else in the country/world, right??

a larger number of us have family in various places in the world and visit them regularly...

nyc is the most diverse city in the country and one of the most in the planet...

so how could anywhere near a majority of us be uncultured and in a bubble? how could we have never left the city and know little about the rest of the country and/or world?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
eek

its like because we disagree, and we bring facts (and we do), we MUST be uncultured, in a bubble, ignorant, etc. about the rest of the country.

this same argument has been used against me a few times...

and personally, i have been to almost every state in the country, have lived in three different regions in this country and have lived in europe. i have family in various states in this country and family from various parts of the caribbean and central america that i have visited...so obviously i have left the city and obviously i would have some knowledge about the rest of the country. not only that but i regularly read about various parts of the world and of course parts of the u.s. because i think its interesting (which is how i found out about cd in the first place).

i just think its funny that ppl would assume something because we (we being some nyers on cd and ppl from other areas of the country on cd) disagree.

many of us have lived in areas YOU guys currently lived in AND we have traveled the country.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
Quote:
It isn't all because of transplants, even areas of the South with very few transplants are still becoming more rushed and rude. It's just the times we live in, people are working longer hours trying to make ends meet while trying to fit in time for their family.

Exactly! I admit the transplants do have something to do with it, but I have noticed what you are saying more in the natives than transplants. Jobs that don't pay well (and treat their employees like dirt) are also to blame. For that very reason, I don't have a family. Bringing up a child in a hostile environment is the LAST thing I want to do.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL. people don't walk fast in the North because of the crime. People in the North walk fast because they need to get to where they need to go and are willing to bump people and walk over you to do so. I don't have time to say hi to you. I need to finish what I'm doing. I love the fast-paced lifestyle. I think Houston is quickly headed that way, btw. But the urban areas are faster paced in the South (except Dallas, I get a slow vibe everytime I go there. I mean, they still wear shags and leather shorts there).
Just how big of a part of the everyday life of Northerners do some folks consider crime to be? Most Northerners don't live in fear of crime every waking moment. Your chances of being a victim are very low unless you make poor lifestyle choices and run with the wrong crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.