Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I don't see how Southerners are hurting anything by being so connected to their roots. 90% of the world is this way.
90% of the world is 3rd world

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
There are so many Northerners in NC at this point and they tend to cluster together. So I don't see how any child of Northern parents can be a true 'Carolina girl'.
Never understood this. No one in the north accuses people of not being true notherners. I ran into that attitude alot in the south. If you are not a 5th generation southerner, you are a fake southerner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I know a few people in New Mexico, born and raised here, whose dream it is to move to places like Vermont or New York (not necessarily NYC, either).

They are people who feel culturally connected to the Northeast for whatever reason, probably being Anglo/Germanic Americans, and like lush forest, rain, seafood, old architecture, and seafood.

Although those things can be found in the Pacific NW, I think there is a historical cachet in the Northeast that is attracive to them, as well. At least a couple of the people in question are undeniable Euro-philes as well and proximity to Europe cannot be discounted in their aspirations, in my opinion.

Whatever. There are a lot of people in the Northeast willing to change places with them.

ABQConvict

Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
GA native, lived in Brooklyn for several years. Had a great time there.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Moved from Central Texas to the DC area (I'm counting this as Northeast). Won't ever go back to Centex. I can do Houston but that's about it. I love Texas but that chapter is most likely done for right now.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
When I was born, my family lived in North Bergen, NJ. Later, we moved north to Hackensack, NJ. I've sinced moved further north in Bergen County, NJ. I don't find it to be all that different from the south where I used to live, which is only about 20 miles away. It's all very similar. But I have moved from South to North and I'm happy with the move. The weather is pretty much identical.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
When I was born, my family lived in North Bergen, NJ. Later, we moved north to Hackensack, NJ. I've sinced moved further north in Bergen County, NJ. I don't find it to be all that different from the south where I used to live, which is only about 20 miles away. It's all very similar. But I have moved from South to North and I'm happy with the move. The weather is pretty much identical.
Dude, are you serious?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Dude, are you serious?
Why would I make any of that up?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
^I don't think the OP meant the south part of your state to the north part of your state, lol.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
My family is umpteen generations of Southerners, from the very beginning. Several soldiers in the Confederate Army, and I qualify for just about every "Daughters Of" having to do with the South that you could think of. Eventually several landed in Texas (and that's why I am here), but before that, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, NC, SC, Virginia, you get the idea...

I am not really moving to the "North" but I am leaving the South (and yes, I do consider Texas the South, and don't care to debate it) for Colorado. One of my original requirements for a new city was that it be in the South... then I kept researching, and just couldn't find a place that fit for us and what we want out of a place to live AND was affordable for us. Then I "met" Colorado and fell in love. Realizing we have family there (long lost family) made it even more appealing.

I understand Southern roots, but then I think about my ancestors who just took off for the sake of taking off, and left Mississipi for Tenn, then Oklahoma, then Arkansas, then Texas... and they didn't have any issues about mobility, or trying out something new and foreign, so why not follow in their adventurous footsteps?

I know there will be things I will miss, but you can't erase your roots or your family history simply by moving, and I'm not trying to. I won't miss the heat and some of the attitudes, that's for sure!

Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^I don't think the OP meant the south part of your state to the north part of your state, lol.
You know that was funny, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.