Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

With all the northern people moving to the sunbelt, I got to wondering if anyone made a reverse moved and actually liked it, and why. This goes for people who currently live in the sunbelt but always wanted to move north.

I like the South so far, but I love the northern U.S. but I have a hard time imagining why someone who grew up outside it would ever want to move there.

I look forward to any answers.

Mackianc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
There are quite a few southern transplants at my job. They seem to love it here.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM

207 posts, read 324,765 times
I respect the North for what it is. I like going to NYC. It is a cool place. But I could never live up there. The only way it would be possible is if I married a nice Southern boy from where I am from in the Deep South, and he went up there with me. But I would want for our children to get reconnected with the South at some point. I wouldn't want them to make the North their home.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally posted by gr99a05
I respect the North for what it is. I like going to NYC. It is a cool place. But I could never live up there. The only way it would be possible is if I married a nice Southern boy from where I am from in the Deep South, and he went up there with me. But I would want for our children to get reconnected with the South at some point. I wouldn't want them to make the North their home.
I feel the same way. So far the South has been fantastic and it's been a great experience. But I want my kids to see the Great Lakes region as "home".

Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Born in Alabama, and left the South for college. I've fallen in love with big urban cities, the kind you only find up north, and will never go back.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Went to h.s. and grew up mostly in north florida... Leaving was the best decision I ever made. I moved back again to try to be close to family but absolutely hated it. Me and my gf both had to leave in less than 6 months. You honestly could not pay me enough to live there again. Being atheist and eccentric in the deep south, as well as used to the big city does not sit very well with me.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
I live about 10 miles north of where I grew up. It's okay, but "home" will always be to the south.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 AM

174 posts, read 403,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I feel the same way. So far the South has been fantastic and it's been a great experience. But I want my kids to see the Great Lakes region as "home".
That may change with time. I know it has for me. Now I'm raising a Carolina Girl .

But, if you are from Mackinac, then I can understand why you would want to keep ties to your home. What a beautiful region of the country! Because of tough economic times, Michigan does not get the credit it deserves.

Give NC a good chance. Much like Michigan, it's natural beauty is amazing. Look at it as trading in one super model for another - it's a win-win!

But to answer your question: Yes, I could see Southern born people becoming willing to move North. Actually, they did for many years to fill the factory jobs. People will always migrate to where they can find opportunity. If that again falls into the North, then so will migration.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I just did, if you consider Texas part of the South. I moved from Texas to New England. I'd always wanted to live somewhere in the Northeast and it's finally happened. I only wish I'd done it sooner!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 AM

207 posts, read 324,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
That may change with time. I know it has for me. Now I'm raising a Carolina Girl .

But, if you are from Mackinac, then I can understand why you would want to keep ties to your home. What a beautiful region of the country! Because of tough economic times, Michigan does not get the credit it deserves.

Give NC a good chance. Much like Michigan, it's natural beauty is amazing. Look at it as trading in one super model for another - it's a win-win!

But to answer your question: Yes, I could see Southern born people becoming willing to move North. Actually, they did for many years to fill the factory jobs. People will always migrate to where they can find opportunity. If that again falls into the North, then so will migration.
There are so many Northerners in NC at this point and they tend to cluster together. So I don't see how any child of Northern parents can be a true 'Carolina girl'.

There are young people my age in the area of Virginia that I am living in and their parents came down from the North. This part of Virginia has turned into yankee land in the South. These young people I know refer to themselves as Southerners, and I have to laugh because there is absolutely nothing Southern about them. I am from the Deep South and my family has been down there forever, so I guess I am biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.