Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM

28 posts, read 73,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
Accents are a strange thing to attempt to group into one geographic location. For instance, I have grown up in VA my whole life and do not have an accent at all. Neither does my mom. This was confirmed when I visited friends of a friend in NJ and when they asked where I was from the response was, "But you don't have an accent!" Now there are people who have strong to very mild accents all over VA. And many like myself who really don't have any kind of accent. I have never been able to explain why every other native Virginian does or does not have an accent. I think this is the case all over the country though.

Same exact scenario here in Lexington KY. A lot of natives dont have accents and some do. Ive always wondered that same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM

28 posts, read 73,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
good map. I only disagree with ct being lumped with the rest of new england regarding accents. Ct accents are pretty neutral - they don't speak the ny tongue nor the boston. It's probably more similar to upstate ny. The ct accent is the "television accent".

i totally agree!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgfootballfan94 View Post
Hello. I lived in central New Jersey (born and raised). I do not speak with any accent nor did anyone else i know. I was raised in Old Bridge Nj which is in the central part of the state. Me and old bridgeites sound nothing like the sopranos or anyone like that. In fact, we don't talk with accents. I always wondered why i don't have an accent (and why people in old bridge don't). trust me I didn't even know that New york city was 2 hours from my house until I was 10. Seriously I speak like David Letterman,Walter Kronkite and Spencer Pratt (people said that i sound exactly like spencer pratt). I swear i am truthful. I know people in Northern jersey talk with accents but not us. And people in Old bridge new jersey are southerners .I know i'll get railed for this but i consider central new jersey the gateway to the south . I have nothing in common with the northern jersyans (or people north of old bridge). And i call it pop and I pronounce pajamas 'pa jah mas' . I also pronounce caught as cot. And I say nike shoes not nike sneakers.
If you pronounce 'caught' the same as 'cot', then you speak with an accent to me (as I do not). For the record, everyone speaks with an accent. You just don't speak with what you feel is the stereotypical northern new jersey accent.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
XNOLA-New Orleans and Nostalgia for Wherever You At-I don't know how accurate this is because it sounds like some NYer messing around to me. Click on the letters to get the sound clips.

Yat (New Orleans) at AllExperts
(http://en.allexperts.com/e/y/ya/yat_%28new_orleans%29.htm - broken link)

And the clip below:

YouTube - A variety of New Orleans accents from YEAH YOU RITE!
ok, this is scary. the two girls at the end. its like we (nyers) sound exactly the same and we're 3423434234 miles apart.

*edit*

and there is no brooklyn accent. i repeat, there is no brooklyn accent. as if bk has a different accent than the rest of us. lol. especially considering we're on the same island (those of us from queens, bk, long island). please.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Ah coh-ut mahself talkin' las' naght ... ah pernownce it "ee-mell."

LOL ... yuh kin take uh Hillbillih outta the hills, but ye canae take thuh hills outta the hillbillih!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 AM

73 posts, read 173,819 times
somebody please answer what is the diference between a country accent and an old southern accent ?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times
This map is very interesting and I think we should appreciate that someone took the time to pull it together instead of only pointing out inaccuracies since it's not perfect, although the latter is human nature. But for what it's worth, if the map were to be made more detailed, some cities like Pittsburgh and New Orleans would have their own category.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Boston and Philly each have their own unique accents also.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ok, this is scary. the two girls at the end. its like we (nyers) sound exactly the same and we're 3423434234 miles apart.
Welcome to New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
A southern accent is not monolithic. There is more than one particular southern accent. I can easily tell if someone is from New Orleans vs. say Hattiesburg, MS. 130 miles away and totally different accents. I can tell if someone is from Memphis vs. someone from ATL or Houston by the way they speak.

So yes, someone in Houston calling a car a slab vs. someone in Atlanta calling a car a whip is dialect, BUT, ask a New Orleanian to say "Baby" vs. someone in Atlanta. That's an accent.
"...sey beby!"

No seriously, I want to hear this Charleston, SC accent that I keep hearing about.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-01-2010 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aILNROnsCQ&NR=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.