Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's funny because I say y'all and I'm from NYC.

If you have roots from the south, that may be why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
"You guys" is a fairly new term. It must have been started by teenagers sometime in the 80's. I had never heard it before then. My older daughter starting saying it as a preteen back then. I can remember the conversation we had about it. My husband asked her why she was calling her girfriends "you GUYS." She said at the time that it was a gender neutral term. Ok. Now, it has just become part of the local accepted culture. It is never used with "youse". That is completely different and much, much longer in use.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM

41 posts, read 140,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Here is a map that I completed not long ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ern-speech.jpg
That’s a cool map but I would say the Appalachian Twang/Draw extends into much of West Virginia. Arkansas accent sounds pretty similar to a southern Appalachian accent at least from what I’ve heard. Plus Virginia is like a coastal southern it’s not really that comparable to Kentucky, Arkansas, or West Virginia. Missouri also I would say it would extend at least to Saint Louis…..There is somewhat of a southern dialect influence there.

But yeah its right for the most part..

Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM

41 posts, read 140,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I'm from Philly, now live in norfolk, went back to Philly, and my whole family said I have a tidewater accent. I can't tell, but people here say warter, 'do, 'sto, NAWFAWLK insted of NOR-FOLK! I think SE V.A should have it's own category.
Naw-**** and Newpert Nuws

Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
hahaha yeah I typed it the same way but they blocked it out so i wrote fawlk! Haha newpert news!
suf****, it's kinda cool they/ we have our own dialect.. once you get outta the norfolk/ VB metro everyone says norFOLK

Old 08-09-2009, 09:21 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
just made this map for a conversation piece.
I would have included another region made up of South Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland, and parts of eastern VA perhaps. People in this area don't sound southern at all and have a distinct accent. Also, northern New England sounds a lot different and slower than southern New England.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
what the hell is a new england accent?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default Older than you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
"You guys" is a fairly new term. It must have been started by teenagers sometime in the 80's. I had never heard it before then. My older daughter starting saying it as a preteen back then. I can remember the conversation we had about it. My husband asked her why she was calling her girfriends "you GUYS." She said at the time that it was a gender neutral term. Ok. Now, it has just become part of the local accepted culture. It is never used with "youse". That is completely different and much, much longer in use.
...I can remember hearing "you guys" constantly in the 1970s, and even back into the late '60's. I think the expression "youse" goes back even further, but it was largely limited to large urban areas in the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
You guys is becoming more and more common al lthe time because it is what is used in the media. It's not often you hear y'all used. By the way, here in Kentucky most people use y'all AND you all, not just one or the other.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
The only time we ever say y'all in my family is to imitate Paula Deen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.