Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
To say that 'valley' is the prevalent accent in Southern California is a big exaggeration. Its accent is definitely Western.
Yep.

I think the problem with these maps (and the test on the other thread) is a poor understanding of what constitutes the set of real Western accents, combined with exaggeration of the ways of speech found in communities dominated by transplants (and the subsequent sets of "transplant mish mash" accents, one of which is the "surfer" / "valley girl" type of accent). Furthermore the area shown as "Western" needs to be subdivided, roughly, into NW, SW and northern Rockies / northern high plains.

There is a distinct "Southwestern" accent that is common in CA, NV, AZ, UT, some in NM, CO and even a bit into OR. Here are some test words:
- Chili
- Santa Maria
- Concrete
- Any word ending in -ing
- Orange
- Advertisement
- Envelope
- Apricot
- Either / Neither
- Any word with a double "l" in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
B'more and Philly do have virtually the same accent. Nice map. Here's another more detailed one:

This one's better. I'd probably debate the subdivision of the South West, in reality what you've got are degrees of contamination by transplant accents, clearly much of CA is more strongly influenced than more recently developed parts of the SW.

One question - what on Earth is San Francisco Urban - some sort of FOB influenced accent (e.g. like the way some people at after market urban racing shows talk, our emerging pidgin? - LOL!)

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 08-11-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
If you ever spoke to someone from Dallas and then to someone from Houston. You wouldn't believe that the two cities are in the same state. Dallas (especially Black Dallasites) have a very similar speech to Memphis, Arkansas, and St. Louis. Houston's accent is unique to itself. They don't sound like Louisiana and they don't sound like the rest of Texas.

Now DC is interesting. It's kind of similar to St.Louis but not that similar. In DC, the r's are emphasized. I'm starting to pick up on that. Carry out=Curry out. Maryland=Murrland. Barry Farms=Burry Farms. You can hear the Northeast in DC as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Yep.

I think the problem with these maps (and the test on the other thread) is a poor understanding of what constitutes the set of real Western accents, combined with exaggeration of the ways of speech found in communities dominated by transplants (and the subsequent sets of "transplant mish mash" accents, one of which is the "surfer" / "valley girl" type of accent). Furthermore the area shown as "Western" needs to be subdivided, roughly, into NW, SW and northern Rockies / northern high plains.

There is a distinct "Southwestern" accent that is common in CA, NV, AZ, UT, some in NM, CO and even a bit into OR. Here are some test words:
- Chili
- Santa Maria
- Concrete
- Any word ending in -ing
- Orange
- Advertisement
- Envelope
- Apricot
- Either / Neither
- Any word with a double "l" in it
Can you expand on this? Like how are these words said in by someone with a distinctive "Southwestern" accent? And where is the geographic cutoff for this?

Just wondering because I'm NorCal born and raised by a fifth-generation Californian(my father's family came out west in the 1850s) and have relatives in towns throughout the Central Valley and Sierra foothills--and I can't think of anything that unique about any of our accents. My grandparent's generation had a slight country twang, but still not as strong as what I've heard in rural areas in the Rocky Mountain or desert Southwestern states.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you ever spoke to someone from Dallas and then to someone from Houston. You wouldn't believe that the two cities are in the same state. Dallas (especially Black Dallasites) have a very similar speech to Memphis, Arkansas, and St. Louis. Houston's accent is unique to itself. They don't sound like Louisiana and they don't sound like the rest of Texas.

Now DC is interesting. It's kind of similar to St.Louis but not that similar. In DC, the r's are emphasized. I'm starting to pick up on that. Carry out=Curry out. Maryland=Murrland. Barry Farms=Burry Farms. You can hear the Northeast in DC as well.
I definitely agree with Dallas/memphis/arkansas...but St. Louis? Neh. I don't think you can really call accents similar just because they all say "urr".

Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I definitely agree with Dallas/memphis/arkansas...but St. Louis? Neh. I don't think you can really call accents similar just because they all say "urr".
Have you ever been to St. Louis? I'm telling you they sound exactly like people from Memphis and Arkansas and in turn sound like people from Dallas and Northern Louisiana.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Have you ever been to St. Louis? I'm telling you they sound exactly like people from Memphis and Arkansas and in turn sound like people from Dallas and Northern Louisiana.
Okay see, judging from the areas youre referencing it seems like youre basing it solely off of the "urr" pronunciation.

And while I admit that I've never been to Saint Louis or met anyone from there (not that I can remember), I do know someone from Kansas City. Though there were some similarities I knew she was not from the south.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I don't know, people from St Louis can sound extremely country. More so than cities in the south.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't know, people from St Louis can sound extremely country. More so than cities in the south.
But we have to reiterate what was stated in that thread months ago, and that is that "country" isn't necessarily the same thing as "southern".

Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But we have to reiterate what was stated in that thread months ago, and that is that "country" isn't necessarily the same thing as "southern".
Well you get the point of what I'm saying. Country usually equals southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.