Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times

Advertisements

Raccoons, skunks, cats, rats, mice, lots of birds, including hummingbirds, blue jays, doves, the occasional hawk, sparrows, finches, crows, mockingbirds, once had SF's famous wild parrot flock hang out in my yard for 10 minutes too.

As far as other animals, we do have some Coyotes in SF. They live in places like Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, Glen Canyon Park and McLaren Park. We also have mountain lions elsewhere in the Bay Area, where it's not quite so urban. In fact there was a sighting of one just yesterday.

I also remember around 15 years ago, there was a small alligator that somehow got into a lake in one of SF's parks, and it kept eating the ducks until it was finally captured a few months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM

505 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Lots of rabbits, birds, squirrels. The typical suburban stuff.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 PM

96 posts, read 243,673 times
Had a fox in the yard just this morning, a deer last week, but thats VERY rare to have a deer. Mostly just a bunch of rabbits, birds, neighbors dogs lol.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Union County, North Carolina
We have birds, rabbits, squirrels, possums, stray cats and dogs. We live near the main road and have deer further down our street, but a couple of times they have ended up in our yard too.

I forgot to mention that we live near some farms, so a stray horse, cow, or goat, together with maybe a chicken, rooster, or turkey is possible too. So far it has been mostly horses that my husband has helped rescue. They love apples, so if you take an apple toward them they usually come right over.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Raccoons are all over Seattle, anywhere there is a forested area (backyards seem to be prime breeding ground.) They especially like dog food. Hopefully, not small dogs very often.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
I live in a semi-inner city neighborhood on the north side of Columbus Ohio. I mostly see squirrels, songbirds and cats-some feral and others neighbors pets-. A stray cat recently had 4 kittens in our shed but she removed them because our Beagle hound dog had her eye on them. Occasionally we will get rabbits and opossums. My husband claimed to have seen a raccoon or two on top of our garage but I have yet to seen any.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:31 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,747 times

and

and

Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Squirrels, birds, chipmunks, rabbit, racoon, etc.. nothing more than little things

Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Deer, I have seen as many as 3 deer at one time in my neighbors yard. My dog even chased one.

I live in a new small neighborhood in the country.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
I'm in southern Middle Tennessee in the country on a farm...
Too many species of birds to mention--largest I've seen have been turkey, blue heron and red-tail hawks...smallest are a couple different kinds of hummingbirds.
Lots of different, frogs (pinky fingernail sized to nearly Chihuahua size) turtles (little-bitty to some the size of doughnut spare tires) , lizards (blue-tailed most common)
Snakes-rat, corn, king, black racer, blue racer--all good, although the rat snakes can get pretty darn long--copperheads, timber rattlers--not so good in the yard. Fortunately, only one each in years seen in the yard.

Cottontails, badgers, squirrels (gray, fox, and flying), raccoons.
Wild Turkeys
Coyotes
Red fox
Bobcats
Deer--too many of them. I've seen as many as 25 at once in my yard. The thrill and challenge of deer season has kind of gone away.
Thank goodness I've never seen a skunk in my yard, let alone had to scoop one out of my pool.

The occasional cow, bull and horse.
Stray dogs
Wild dogs
My dogs
My cats

...and finally, according to the guy about a mile down the road, a 6-8 foot tall Sasquatch. Seriously. He said he saw it one night at my fenceline and shot at it. I just told him it was me out drying off after taking a dip in the creek and I didn't appreciate getting shot at. He was serious enough he reported it to some bigfoot people...

...but sorry, no picture of bigfoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.